Chapter 6

Chapter 6

     "Where's your mother?" He asks looking around for her. Did he expect her to be with us? Did he think my mother was going to bring us here? Was my mother planning on it before I killed her? My heart sinks to the pit of my stomach, I feel sick. I didn't want to have to be the one to tell my father what happened, I especially didn't want him to know I am the one who pulled the trigger.

     Link tells I'm having difficulty with coming up with any sort of answer, "She couldn't make it." Is all he says. We are going to have to tell him sometime soon, I know I have to be the one to do so, but I really wish I wasn't.

     My father furrows his eyebrows together when he looks at me, he notices that I have tears in my eyes forming, one that can't help but to roll down my cheek.

     "She did what she had to, dad. She did it to protect you and the map." My voice strained. At that moment I realize why my mom wanted to keep this map out of the hands of Liam and Tucker, why she was willing to die, it was for my father. He hugs me once more, I've been dreaming of this moment ever since I thought he was murdered, I had dreams of him still be alive, I wished upon every star that he would somehow be alive, now that he is I can't help but feel the same type of dread, only this time for my mother. It gives me a sense of false hope that my mother is going to appear and reveal that she isn't really dead, that I didn't actually kill her. But I did, I know I did.

     My father takes a step back trying to regain his composure, he looks devastated. He places his hand over his heart grabbing the material of his shirt in his fist. "Sh-She's gone?" He says low. "I don't understand."

     "I'm so sorry dad." I back away, "I'm so sorry." Is the last thing I shout before running out of the hallway we are in and into another one. I find an empty room somewhere down the long corridor. I swing the door open and run inside I flinch when the door slams shut on its own. I finally let myself break down. All the pain and sorrow I had building up inside me was now pouring out. I loudly sob, I try my best to catch my breath but I fail and begin hyperventilating. I sit down on one of the chairs and put my hands over my eyes and lean over, my elbows resting on my thighs. I hear the door open seconds later, I don't look to see who it is. There footsteps get louder as they approach me, a hand is placed on my back and rubs me in comfort. "I-I didn't mean to." I choke out.

     "I know you didn't" It was Link's voice. I remove my hands from my eyes to at him. He was hovering above me, his blue eyes seem brighter because of the whites of his eyes are red, he had been crying. I've never seen Link like this.

     "Dad hates me now," my voice wobbly. I wipe my nose with the back of my hand. "I could've done more to save her, I could've helped her-"

     "Stop," Link pinches the bridge of his nose. "Mom told you what to do, that was her choice. You can't continue with this I could've, I should've, you can't go back in time. I'm sorry but, we all lost her, don't put the blame on yourself. Liam and Tucker killed her." He says. I don't say anything back to him. "Okay?"

     "I can't live with this burden," I shake my head. "I can't deal with the responsibility for her-"

     "Avery..." Link cuts me off. His voice is soft and calm, "You have to learn to live with yourself, do you think mom would want you feeling like this? She asks you to kill her and expects you to live for the rest of your life with guilt?" I think to myself, Link did have a point.

      "Dad hates me now though. I just got him back, I don't want to lose him again."

     "Dad loves you," Link begins to chuckle, "growing up you were his obvious favorite-"