Chapter 3

Chapter 3

I was startled out of bed when the dormitory alarm went off, I squint at the clock across the wall, 8:30 in the morning. We had to wake up before 9 o'clock, at that time we all will be given our second round of tests, we all got ready and headed to the 2nd floor of the headquarters to take the test that will determine what our career is going to be here in Protection.

The test didn't take long, everyone got in right away, just like the Sector test there were various rooms that conducted the tests. The process was fast mainly because there weren't many people who got into Protection Sector, most of the population goes to Wisdom or Peace. The results were told to us just minutes after the test is taken. After I took the test and got my result, I headed back to the dormitory. All I could think of was how extremely inquisitive I was as to what Ramona got. Typically people get police officer, fireman, wall guard, security guard. I had gotten Protection official, it's description was to help with cases, domestic issues, rebellions, and what's going on in government, top secret type things. I was excited, I actually felt in place for once in my life, maybe I did belong here after all.

When I got back to my bunk I saw Ramona already there "What did you get?" She asks anxiously, she was just as curious to what I got as I was to hear what she had gotten.

"Protection official. What did you get?" I lean against the bunk and cross my arms.

"Security guard for stores, buildings, you know." She smiled. She was always so happy I don't know how she didn't get Peace Sector.

"You're looking at the Nation's next best fireman," Felix says with a wide smile while also showing off his muscles. "Training starts tomorrow 8 o'clock sharp," he seems just as excited as Ramona, they both conversed over how happy they are.

"That's so exciting! I got, " Ramona says to Felix, she rambled on excitedly about who knows what I stopped paying attention. I couldn't help but peek over at Cage who just got back from his test, he was sitting at the bottom bunk reading a book.

Curiosity got the best of me and I began to walk over to him. "Hey." I grab my elbow and scratch at it trying to keep myself occupied. Cage made me nervous, and when I'm nervous I can't sit still.

"Avery." He says unenthusiastic. He didn't remove his attention off the book he was gazing at, I watch his eyes trail left to right across the page he was reading.

I sat at the edge of his bed. "What position did you get?" I ask him apprehensively.

"Protection official with field post." He looks up at me with his dark brown eyes. His voice was deep and I could feel the vibrations through the bed when he talked. I was extremely attracted to him, something about his character pulled me toward him. I wanted to know him, be near him. The feeling I possessed for him was not scared, but worried. I didn't want to get too close, but he was distant himself and I felt like he wanted to continue to push me away and I didn't want him too.

"With field post?" I question him. How come I just got protection official?

"Yes. That's what I said." He set his book down and huffed. "It means I will also hold a gun, be on look out at an assigned field post and well, protect." He shrugs his shoulders like it's nothing.

"I take it your training is tomorrow at 8 o'clock with Tucker?" I ask assuming that him and I will be spending time together with our jobs. Maybe this will be good working with him, I'll get to know him better.

"Precisely." He says picking his book back up. His eyes resume to scanning the words on the page.

I got up from his bed and started walking back to my bunk. I unexpectedly looked back at him only to find him looking at me as well, his attention quickly diverted back to his book.