Chapter 32

Chapter 32

Kelly's adoring gaze follows Fiona as she bustles around the kitchen. A strand of her red hair slips out of its messy bun while she bends over to pick up an unused napkin from the floor. Her cheeks are stained a beautiful pink, the last hour of cleaning now wearing on her energy.

My best friend mindlessly twirls his pen through his fingers, a makeshift drumstick to add to his musical persona. His eyes never leave her, though. When she bends down a second time, he reaches over and gives her a playful smack on the ass. Fiona huffs and twirls around to face him.

"I gave you a pass on chores so you and Finn could study together for mid-terms," she scolds.

Kelly smirks and leans back, casually tossing the pen on his textbook. "I'd rather study you instead."

Fiona shifts her gaze to me for a split second, and the pink in her cheeks turns to a smoldering red. She's used to Kelly making these types of comments, I'm sure, but it's clear she's not used to him making them around me.

"Just...study," she mutters.

She swats Kelly on his shoulder. As she leaves the kitchen, however, I notice an affectionate grin spreading across her lips. Kelly sighs when she's out of earshot and shakes his head.

"I've got it bad, Finny boy."

I grunt enviously. "I don't think you're alone in that."

He doesn't hear my response, though. He's still in 'Fiona land.' He glances around the kitchen with longing, as if every object in here holds a piece of her. I've never seen Kelly this happy. Ever. Then again, I've never seen him in love.

And as happy as I am for my best friend, I can't help but feel like the perpetual third wheel. It's not that I'm jealous he's found someone. I simply wish I had it too.

"I'm going to move in with her," he announces suddenly.

I glance up from my textbook and frown. "Seriously?"

He nods and grins. "I mean, she doesn't know it yet, but I am."

"You've only been dating for a few months."

Kelly reaches for his pen again and shrugs. "And?"

I chew on my bottom lip, glancing over his shoulder to make sure she's out of earshot. "Don't you think it's a little...soon?"

My best friend winks. "No better time than the present. Besides, the sooner I get her living with me, the sooner she'll realize I'm the man of her dreams and agree to marry me."

I scoff under my breath. "You've asked her to marry you?"

He waves off my question. "All the time. She thinks I'm kidding, but I'm not. One of these days she'll say yes, though. And I'm telling you, Finn – moving in together is one step closer to getting me that beautiful, three-letter word. Y-E-S."

"I don't hear studying!"

Fiona's sing-song voice sweeps into the kitchen as she passes the doorway with the vacuum. She doesn't stop to chat, and Kelly smirks before tapping the page with the end of his pen.

"Alright," he says. "Better listen to my lady before she kicks me out."

I nod and glance down at my notes. The first part is well-written, a clear indication that I was paying attention in class. As my eyes move down the page, however, the notes become sloppy and a few doodles sprout into the margins.