Chapter 8

Chapter 8

For once being in Professor Adams' lecture proves to be more valuable than just ogling eye candy for 50 minutes. Not only am I taking notes for Kelly and Fiona, but also today's lecture deals with the only subject consuming my mind lately. Vampires.

"...and so while our troops were slaughtered by the dozen, considerably far less vampires were killed during the war."

My hand shoots up and Leo pauses, his eyebrows pinching with both confusion and concern. It's unlike me to ask a question in front of the class, let alone be interested enough in his lecture to ask a question in the first place.

"Mr. Weston – you have a question?" Professor Adam asks, taking a seat on the edge of his desk.

He casually crosses his arms over his chest. Even though his face gives nothing away, the lustful look in his eyes tells a different story. Seeing him sitting in the very spot where we last had sex has me temporarily dazed.

It was hotter than any of the others before it. It was passionate. Steamy. Impossible to forget. By the time he finished, the two of us were breathless and splayed across the stainless steel desktop. He turned me around, his face streaked with sweat but his expression consumed with pleasure.

Then he did something that left me both speechless and breathless. He kissed me, over and over again. He kissed every inch of my face and lips. It was overwhelming and felt intimate.

"Mr. Weston?" Leo says, a devious smirk spreading across his lips. "Have we lost you?"

My surroundings come back into focus. I can feel the eyes of my classmates staring at me with boredom and annoyance. Heat suffocates my cheeks.

"No, s-sorry," I stutter, trying to gain my bearings.

What was he just talking about?

I drop my gaze to my notes, following my penmanship until I land on the last topic of conversation that piqued my curiosity. How to kill a vampire.

"Right," I continue, this time keeping my gaze on my notes rather than on my pseudo professor with benefits. "So you were saying earlier in the lecture that we didn't know – at the time of the war– how hard it was to kill a vampire. And I've read the chapters you assigned us, but I couldn't find anywhere on how we killed them. I mean, they don't die like normal humans do."

There's a stillness in the air. Normally when we discuss vampires in history class, the conversation is focused on the human side of things. How humans have been mistreated for years. How humans suffered for years until the Agreement was written and put into place. How humans are still being oppressed.

"Interesting question," Leo says slowly.

His eyes flicker to me, ever watchful in gauging my reaction. I've never wanted to know more about vampires. There was never a reason to. Now though, after spending a weekend in emotional purgatory – neither hearing from Kelly nor Bogdan – I want to know all that I can.

Is the reason it's taking Kelly so long to return is because he was successful in killing his vampire but the act of killing her was a slow process?

Or was it fast and now he's on the run?

Is Bogdan having a hard time catching him?

I tap my pen against the notepad, waiting with a quickening pulse for Leo to spill everything he knows. The energy in the room is buzzing. My question isn't illegal to answer, but it's certainly not one that many people would think or want to ask.