Chapter 13

A/N: Thanks for all the great feedback on this novel thus far, folks.  Pictured above is how I picture Fiona looking.

Looking forward to your feedback, folks. 

Thanks again and happy Tuesday.

____________________________

Chapter 13

As the weeks pass, the world around us transforms into a macabre whirlwind of chaos, fear, and war. Up until last Thursday, Leo would turn on the news every day so we knew what was happening. But now the TV announcements have stopped. Mass communication has stopped.

The last thing we heard from our leader was that all contact between vampires and their consorts was hereby banned. Above all else, his reinforcing words never wavered: stay hidden and keep safe.

We are at war.

"I'm heading to the store," Fiona announces, shoving away from the kitchen table.

Leo hunches beside the water heater, tinkering with the levers at the top. A tool belt hangs lazily on his narrow hips. He doesn't bother glancing up at her before saying no.

"We're running out of food," she argues.

"We'll make do."

"We have been 'making do,' Leo. It's not enough."

Leo sighs and stands, wiping off his hands on the length of his frayed blue jeans. If it was just the three of us here, we'd have enough food to last another month. Over the past week, however, seven additional people have shown up at Leo's doorstep – all of them loyal followers to his radical idea of a revolution. I recognize some of them from class, but the rest are all strangers that I no longer have the strength to make small-talk with.

"It's too dangerous," Tony chimes in. "The last broadcast told us that the vampires are being ruthless. They're dressing up like humans, blending in until they get a chance to advance."

"I'd rather they just attack us," Midge comments from the couch. She flips a page of her magazine and stares off into the distance. "Just get it over with, you know? At least then we wouldn't have to be afraid all the time."

All of us glance around at one another. For the first few days she was here, Midge reminded me of myself. She's quiet and pensive, not usually one to ruffle feathers. I even tried approaching her one night after dinner, but five minutes into the conversation, I quickly realized we are more different than night and day. Where my personality is filled with understanding and the netting of an open mind, hers is closed off and wired shut around one thought: kill all the vampires.

"Well while all of you sit around and pilfer through your magazines or debate about your deep-rooted fear of the undead, I'm going to check the store for food. Anyone want to come with me?"

I immediately jump to my feet. "I'm coming with you."

"No, you're not," Leo says, shutting me down.

Normally Fiona agrees with him and writes me off. My spirits sink, expecting this time to be no different. But to my surprise, my old friend meets my gaze from across the room, her eyes dancing over me thoughtfully before smiling softly.

The sight makes me ache. I haven't seen Fiona smile since the day she found out Kelly changed. Truthfully, I haven't even really talked to her since that day, either. Seeing her smile, just briefly, reminds me all the warm memories I shared with her and Kelly. So much has changed since then, and yet in one, slight smile, hope manages to swell in my chest.