Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Red eyes study me from across the room, orbs of flames swarming with heat from the deepest pits of hell. Their intensity makes me weak at the knees. It's like they're reaching inside me, seeping into my veins and swallowing me whole. I try to look away, but I'm stuck. He keeps me frozen under his gaze. There's nothing I can do.

He gracefully moves from his chair to stand in front of me. My chest wheezes in protest as I try to catch a breath. His tongue slides along his bottom lip, and the tips of his fangs glisten with hope. When he reaches out to touch my face, my throat closes up.

I can't scream.

I can't talk.

I can't breathe.

I frantically scratch at the closed airways. He smirks while I struggle. My fingernails scrape down my burning neck. I mouth for him to help me. He tilts his head, studying my fingers clawing away at the flesh of my neck. Then his pupils dilate.

"Such a good consort," he whispers. "You've cooked and cut my meal for me."

The smell of my own blood stains the smoky air. I lift my hands to my face, studying the stream of blood starting at my nails slipping down my fingers. My neck is exposed. Inch by inch he lowers his fangs to my neck. My vein throbs when he breathes against it, flicking his tongue over my broken skin.

His fangs scrape against my neck. Pain trickles down my spine. I try to push him away, but he pins me against the wall. There's nowhere for me to go. I'm trapped.

"Just relax, Finn," I hear him mutter against my neck. "It'll be over soon."

Tears burn my eyes when he pierces my skin. It's liquid fire. The pain is unbearable. I want to scream, but I can't. The pain. Oh, the pain. It's too much. I can't -

"Stop! Damnit, human. Stop!"

I thrash myself awake at the sound of Bogdan's low voice. My fingers fly to my throat, reflexively feeling over the delicate skin for any traces of his mark. There's nothing. I slowly take a breath. My vampire hovers over me, his eyes wild with confusion. Sweat collects at the small of my back, and my throat burns with thirst.

"Please," I whisper hoarsely. "Can I have some water?"

Muddy, red eyes dance over my face. There's so much anger in his gaze, but I don't know why. He sets his lips into a thin line and moves away from me. His movements are so fast and graceful I wonder if he has wings hiding under his shirt. Maybe the myths are true – that vampires are nothing more than demons in disguise.

He returns in only seconds, presenting me with a cup of water filled to the brim. My fingers move along its exterior, brushing over the jagged edges and wondering what it looks like. I bring the edge to my lips and let the cool water wash over my tongue and throat like a foamy wave crashing onto a deserted shore.

I drink until my stomach sloshes in protest. It's been hours since I've last eaten, and while I'd love another glass, I'm afraid drinking it on an empty stomach will be a recipe for seeing it come back in reverse.

"Thank you," I whisper into the silence.

Bogdan stares at me. He's picks up his newspaper and continues to read. In complete darkness. I pull my phone from my pocket to see what time it is. I only manage to unlock it before Bogdan snatches it from my hands.

"You do realize that your scent is all over this town, don't you? They know you're here, human. It's only been a few hours. Vampires might be immortal, but they're not stupid and don't forget easily. They're looking for you. Any traces of light – any – can be spotted for miles and miles away."