Chapter 12

Chapter 12

I try to hide my cough into the plush, leather couch. It burns my lungs and tickles the back of my throat. The air is dry and chalky, a rough mixture of dirt, dust particles and burning electrical wire. Leo warned me about the smell from all the construction, but I refused to let him open a window. It just seemed too dangerous.

I gingerly reach for my pillow and clutch it to my chest. Goosebumps trail up the length of my arm, and for the hundredth time today, I have the irrational fear that someone is watching me. I squint against the darkened room and steady my breathing. No one is there, I remind myself. It's just fear.

The lingering smell of my old home clings to the fibers of my pillowcase. Leo didn't have to stop by my studio apartment, but I think he was trying to make me feel more comfortable knowing I wouldn't be back for quite some time. 

When we got there it was a ghost town, though. Eerily quiet. Most of the doors were bolted shut or left open and completely empty. No one made a sound as we traipsed down the hallways. The air felt heavy, almost like the entire building was afraid to breathe.

At first I thought it was just my imagination, but when we got back into Leo's car, the broadcast on the radio gave a very different story. Apparently the attack today against the University wasn't just one...it was one of many. In other words: an immortal ambush. The police conducted a full broadcast to every home, encouraging us to get to safety, check our homes for any intruders, and to stay put until advised otherwise.

The sounds of Leo's breathing patterns sweep into the living room, loud enough to let me know he's alright. It's a comforting sound. I reach for my phone from the glass coffee table to check the time. When I do, I see I have an email waiting for me.

My heart thrums in my chest. The heat of anxiety spreads through my limbs, all the way up to my neck, curling around my throat. My thumb trembles over the small button, and when I tap it, a cold sweat breaks out across my palms.

It's from Bogdan.

From: Bogdan Emanuel
Sent: Wednesday, July 7, 2137 10:20:37 PM
To: Finn Weston
Subject: Are you safe?

I cannot find your scent. Are you safe?

I stare at the words. It's like I can hear his deep, seductive voice saying them aloud even though he's nowhere near me. It causes a dull ache to bloom in my chest. He said he can't find my scent; does that mean he's been keeping an eye on me all along? Or perhaps he was searching for it recently?

My eyes glaze over. Am I safe? Maybe he only cares because I'm technically his consort. Or maybe he's already out of blood and knows I'm a willing donor. I suck my bottom lip into my mouth and bury deeper into the comfort of the couch.

A response hovers at my fingertips...

From: Finn Weston
Sent: Thursday, July 8, 2137 1:29:15 AM
To: Bogdan Emanuel
Subject: Re: Are you safe?

What's a nirv?

I want to say more, but I hit send instead. He'll know I'm safe from the response. He doesn't need to know more than that. Besides, after witnessing all that I did today, I'm second guessing myself as to how trustworthy Bogdan really is. He told me from day one that he was pretty much a heartless immortal who didn't really care about me.

So why should I believe any different?

My phone buzzes with a response, much faster than I expected.

From: Bogdan Emanuel
Sent: Thursday, July 8, 2137 1:31:54 AM
To: Finn Weston
Subject: Re: Re: Are you safe?

Nothing that concerns you.