Chapter 21

Chapter 21

It doesn't take long for Kelly to find me, and when he does, I don't even try to run. I slump against that tree with strained muscles and tear-stained cheeks, replaying my conversation with Bogdan over and over again.

Kelly awkwardly takes me into his arms. He's not used to traveling with humans, and every few minutes my head clunks against the side of his elbow. I don't fight his touch as the two of us speed away from the dilapidated subdivision and into the heart of the forest.

Everything becomes a blur. I assume we're going back to the tree house, but I can't be sure. Hues of crisp orange, yellow and red glint against the shimmering sunlight, the seasons continuing their journey of change despite the bloodshed happening around it.

After what feels like an eternity has passed, we arrive at our destination – a place that I thought I'd never step foot.

Bogdan's home.

Kelly ushers me through the front door, eyeing the vicinity around us to make sure no one is following. I step into the front foyer and suck in a breath of awe. Ribbons of gold line the walls and the marble staircase. My eyes dance up to the dome shaped ceiling where thousands of twinkling lights are hanging overhead.

"Beautiful..." I murmur.

I know I shouldn't like being here, a place that smells like Bogdan's very essence. The immortal man literally just got done serving me on a platter to one of the most villainous creatures known to mankind. Yet being here calms me. It's like the house has a personality of its own, sliding its arms around me and whispering soothing words to protect me against the outside world.

Kelly takes me on a brief tour. We come to an abrupt stop at the first door on the second floor – a small guestroom where Kelly informs me we'll be staying.

"We?" I ask.

"I was instructed to stay by your side at all times," Kelly responds, closing the door behind us.

"That's really not necessary."

Kelly shrugs. "An order is an order."

I sigh with defeat and glance around the new room. The light in here is much dimmer than in the foyer. A curved lamp sits near the side of the room next to a leather couch. It's lightly furnished, only a bed and a small dresser taking up space amongst the vastly polished, wooden floor.

When I notice there's a small, attached bathroom in the corner of the room, I ask Kelly for a moment of privacy. Even if most of the vampires don't have bathrooms in their homes, it seems once again that Bogdan is the exception to the rule. At least this time it's an exception which makes me ecstatic. Then again, if this bathroom has been here for a while, it also appears I'm not the first human Bogdan has entertained...

I set my jaw firmly and wash my face and hands, taking special care around my chapped knuckles. The sound of rushing water splashing into the marble faucet brings me back to my shower last night. I can almost hear Axel flipping the pages of his book beside me, just a thin layer of shower curtain separating the two of us.

With a shudder, I slap off the faucet and pad back into the room. The bed bends to my weight, so unlike the rickety mattress I was forced to use during my captivity with Axel. I pull the thin blanket and comforter around my shoulders and cuddle into its warmth with a yawn.

Kelly's gaze flickers to me from across the room just briefly before going back to his electronic device. The soft light of the screen bounces against his features. Since picking me up a few hours ago, he hasn't said much.