Chapter 24

Chapter 24

Isolation nips at my shoulders, chilling me to the bone as my footsteps lightly tread across the ground. No noise, I remind myself. No noise. The dead blades sink heavily beneath my feet, pulling against the soles of my shoes with the strength of molasses.

I glance around the perimeter, listening intently to every sound that slaps against my eardrums. A few stray crickets sing softly. Over the past few nights, their songs have given me an inkling of comfort. Now though, that sense of comfort is morphing into anxiety.

What if someone hears their whimsical sounds and decides to take a walk outside?

I continue my path forward. I've been over this route with Kelly many times and yet it feels like the first. Each footstep is daunting. My muscles ache, and every second that passes is both filled with relief and the dread of anticipation.

My ear piece crackles to life.

"Finn, can you hear me? Give me a thumbs up if you can hear me, please."

Kelly's familiar voice whispers against my ear. Despite my fury and disappointment, I know that trying to save Fiona on my own would be dangerous. And disastrous. Even if I can't stand the two of them right now, I still need their help in saving her.

I lift my hand up, jutting my thumb into the air without slowing my pace.

"Good. We've searched the perimeter of the house. Guards will be changing over in about ten minutes. I think you should make it in time for the next changeover."

A cold, nervous sweat erupts across the palms of my hands. In less than an hour, I could have Fiona safe beside me. But if things don't go so well...

I shudder at the alternative.

Even though I was well hidden in the treehouse the last time our paths crossed, there was no ensconcing the hurt and betrayal Leo felt knowing my escape from him was planned. Now that some time has passed, however, I can only imagine what vile agendas Mark has twisted into his mind. He probably views me as an enemy.

Maybe I am.

I slink behind a row of tall fir trees. So many of their needles have already fallen to the ground, serving as a blanket to the grass as Nature awaits the first snow. My nerves begin to get the better of me, and I stop to gather my bearings. Deep breath in. Deep breath out.

The earpiece buzzes to life again.

"Finn, I lost visual contact when you went behind the trees. You should be in the clearing now. Is everything alright?"

Every breath is harder to let out than the last. I start trembling. I am so close to them – so close I can even hear their faint, human voices drifting from the home. I clamp my hand over my mouth and press the button on the ear piece.

"I'm alright," I whisper. "Just...trying to catch my breath."

Kelly's response is instantaneous.

"Take your time, Finn. You can even wait until the next guard changes over if that would be easier for you. Bogdan and I have been keeping a look out for anything different tonight. We both think you're in the clear. They don't know a thing."

I squeeze my eyes shut and nod. My brain takes me back to huddling with them around Kelly's makeshift map in that small, musty smelling room. As pathetic as it sounds, being around them is becoming my happy place. My safe place...my calm place.

One hour, I remind myself. One hour and I'll be with them again. With a deep breath I pry my eyes open and keep walking. I reach out and touch the fir trees as I round into the clearing, their needles pricking the pads of my fingertips.