Chapter 43

Nine years ago

Turrent stood next to the manor's kitchen, flat against the wall and under the eyes of the sentries. They had a few minutes before one of the guards would come around and peek, but Scout hadn't been able to predict the movement of the servants. He was sure they'd be lax about the security and the door would be open, but predicting how they would be received was a lottery.

"I hear movement," Scout said. "Sounds like two people. It should be clear."

"I'll check," Turrent said, grabbing for the brass handle.

Scout adjusted the black headband he wore to keep the hair out of his eyes. "Switch. I'll check."

Turrent smiled. "I've been trained in reconnaissance too. Relax, Scout. I have it."

"You should have taken the kurosheen pill," Scout muttered. "Not to mention your golden eyes. You'll stand out."

Turrent ran a hand through his spiky blonde hair. "They won't see me. Watch."

"Ed-"

Turrent flipped his hood over his head and cracked the door of the back entrance. Scout froze. If anyone heard them before the alarm was raised, it would ruin the subterfuge, but Turrent was certain no one had.

Scout raised his eyebrow. "Well?" it asked.

Turrent peeked through the door, flatting back against the wall when a servant turned in his direction. Servants were hard to decipher. One mission, they wanted to help you kill their master and others they'd fight you like it was their life on the line. It was like they had their own feelings independent of their station.

Scout was right. Two were inside the kitchen and by the looks of it, the Lady had decided on a surprise meal.

I hate surprises.

Turrent held up two fingers on his right hand to signify two civilians. The left would have been guards.

Scout dipped his head, acknowledging the count. Killing civilians was not something Turrent liked, but he wouldn't let two cooks stand in between him and his name.

He grabbed the hilt of his short sword, but Scout raised his hand.

Turrent raised his eyebrow. What?

Scout held his palm downward as if he was pressing the air. Relax.

Turrent didn't want to challenge Scout, but time was running short. He'd rather take his chances with the cooks who wouldn't see them coming over a soldier that would.

"Intruders!" A husky voice bellowed. "Intruders! To the front!"

Turrent exhaled. Hebi and Kaizoku had done their job raising an alarm, so their path would be mostly clear. Scout counted ten guards during his earlier reconnaissance and two always stayed with the lady. Scout volunteered to deal with those, leaving Turrent to the assassination.

It was a great opportunity.

The cooks flung the door open and ran out the back, pinning Scout behind its weight. He took the heavy wooden contraption hard against his chest, yet didn't make a sound. Turrent snaked inside as the second one cleared the door, less they turn back for any reason.

After a quick search showed no one else, he took his hand off his hilt. There was a deer carcass on the center island, bleeding onto the floor. There was a bucket laying on its side nearby and a knife lodged in its torso. Suddenly, there were more footsteps, so he dived behind the island and waited. Several others streamed out of the back door, and he imagined that Scout was waiting to see if the Lady of the house was among them.