Chapter 20

Sabin squeezed the handles of his god-spears so hard he thought they would break.

Yulan was moments from reaching the city, but he moved too fast. Until he stopped, Sabin was more likely to hurt himself than Yulan while lighting.

The sun beamed on his back, taking a particular interest in the nape of his neck. It was easy to forget his argument with Leena and Kianna's near death had happened the same day. It had been a long day and he couldn't wait until it was over.

At least this is as bad as it can get.

He did not know why Yulan was here, nor did he care. Since the vision of him fighting with Yulan in the sky, he'd tried to convince himself he could work with his brother. However, as long as Kianna still suffered his actions he could not. He would not.

His field of vision shook from side to side and his boots scraped along the dry dirt. He pulled back his sight and Alaina's soft hands gripped his left arm.

"If you do this, you'll regret it," she said. "Even if it isn't immediately, you will."

"Maybe, but he deserves it."

"What about what you deserve, Brother Sabin?"

Sabin yanked his arm away. "I've heard you and I value what you've said. But my mind is made up."

"She would not want you to become a kinslayer for her."

Sabin sighed. "You're right."

Alaina smiled and clasped her hands together.

It's what I want.

Sabin lighted further down the road and away from her. He left his eyes open to track Yulan's movements, but lighting with his eyes open left him unbalanced. He stumbled into someone and knocked a brown, oval-shaped basket filled with oblong yellowish fruit from his arms.

"Sorry," Sabin said in Hruh-ya.

The purple-haired man put his hands on his hips. "Gaia's cunt! I will have to wash them again." Then he flicked the hem of his gray robe behind his legs and bent down, gathering them into his container

Sabin regained his bearings and looked down the thoroughfare. Yulan's blur was gone, there was no way he'd cleared the city so fast, so he must have stopped somewhere. He closed his eyes and tried to envision Yulan.

"You're not going to help?"

I don't have time for this.

He opened his eyes. The man gazed at him and shoved his arms towards the mess. They scattered across the ground and people gave them a wide berth. However, the occasional boot stepped on one and squeezed its white flesh from the inside.

"Guan's piss," Sabin muttered.

He kneeled and raked the fruit into the basket as fast as he could.

The Hruh-yite held up his palm. "Slower. The more dirt you put in here is more work for me. It's bad enough I will be late-."

Sabin growled.

The man fell on his backside and flipped the whicker basket. It spilled his regained produce back onto the ground. He held up his hands. His hands shook and his eyes were wide. "Sorry, my friend. I didn't mean to upset you."

Sabin hissed and yanked the basket to him. He chucked the yellow fruit into the basket, sure he dumped half the ground in there. He shoved it to the Hruh-yite and got no further protest.

As the man scrambled away, Sabin focused on lighting to Yulan. The man's image smoked and hazed.

That's odd.