Chapter Six

This amazing banner was made by _GrungeUnicorn_ so thank you very much for that! (:

Be sure to email me at Midika36@gmail.com with your banners, and username so I can give you a mention!

Word Count: 2168

~Thea

Dad was sitting at the dinner table when I walked back inside.

Despite the fact that he is slightly balding, and the scuff of dark hair on his chin suggests something like a beard, we look alike. Everyone says we have the same nose, and our eyes have the same dark tint around the outside.

He smiles, setting his newspaper down on the table, letting me get a glimpse of the front page. Jessica's face was printed large scale, with a daunting title and most likely a degrading passage on how she was depressed and how it was suicide. If the town believed that, then no propaganda would surface, and everything would be okay.

"Hey honey," he greets, peering at me from behind his reading glasses. I smile at him warmly, dumping my backpack on one of the dining room chairs as I go to sit in the seat opposite him.

"I was just at June's," I lie. No point bringing Casper up.

Dad stands, tucking the newspaper under his arm as he wanders to the kitchen. "You look cold. Would you like a drink?"

"Sure," I say, rubbing my hands together. He had no idea I showed up here in someone else's car, rather than walked all the way from June's. I knew he hated the fact that I took a route so close to the Phantom Forest.

Dad rustled around in the kitchen for a moment, boiling the jug, getting the tea ready. In the meantime, I kicked my shoes off, and hung my jacket on the back of the chair.

"Someone else went missing today," Dad told me from the kitchen, making my blood run cold. "A boy, this time."

This is the third person who has disappeared from town. It can't be a coincidence. "Who?"

"Ryan Connolly," Dad tells me. I close my eyes, a mental picture of the young boy clouding my vision. Another I went to school with. His family were very wealthy, living in the best neighbourhood, providing the boy with the best clothes and car. He wasn't a jock, but his money bought him popularity, and even girls.

"What do his parents think?" I ask warily. Prominent figures in this town society, Ryan's parents were known to hold the town on a leash. Sometimes, we think his father believes he is the substitute Alpha, since no one took over the role since Jasper's father.

Dad chuckles. "Your boyfriend and his father, along with half the town are out looking for him."

My father loves Luca. Loves him. The two get along so well they should be the ones dating. My father was the one to introduce me to the boy, letting us date straight away, unlike other boys I had interest in before.

"Apparently a man recently moved into the estate in the Phantom Forest. He might be brought in for questioning," dad says, setting my tea in front of me. Casper...He wouldn't be the reason why they have gone missing, right?

I sip my tea. "I suppose it is the only lead."

I look down into my cup, taken back by the sour taste it leaves in my mouth. Not the refreshing, tannin taste I was used to. And just as I swallow, my heart sinks in my chest as I assess the contents in the cup.

Thick, black...almost like I was drinking straight oil.

I set the teacup down slowly, trying not to scream. Trying not to cry out. Casper had warned me...But this is my father, he wouldn't poison me.