Chapter Four

Thank you so much to BecomingApocalypse for this amazing banner! I love it very much (:

Be sure to email me at Midika36@gmail.com with your banners, and username so I can give you a mention!

Word Count: 2181

~Thea

The diner has been a special place to me since I was a little girl. Having milkshakes after school with June was a ritual, and I always told the ladies at the counter I would work here when I was older. Fast forward ten years, I am living the dream.

Except the dream is hardly what I thought it would be. Sometimes, it's more of a nightmare.

"Four hours late..." My boss, Janet Dupree muses, arms folded over her chest. "Four hours I had to spend doing you work."

I sat meekly behind her desk, head hung low. I'm no stranger to embarrassment, but the looks the other two waitresses gave me as I walked in was enough to have me hold up a white flag.

Janet's office is a tiny room tucked into the back of the diner. We always refer to it as The Cave, because sometimes our boss hibernates in it. In the unlikely event you did something foolish, or against one of her rules, we would have to sit beneath the posters of half naked fireman.

Torture, if it is accompanied by Janet's lecture.

"This is an official warning. Don't let it happen again."

I stand, brushing my uniform down. When I was younger, I thought the dusty pale blue dress with a white apron tied around my waist was cute. No, it's painful and the high school boys make it their job to look under the high hem of the skirt whenever possible.

I wander outside the room and into the kitchen, after muttering a half hearted apology to my boss. The other waitresses mull around, one at a table, and another wiping the main counter. We have one cook working during the day, but we don't usually talk due to his constant pessimistic mood.

"Girl, what happened?" The waitress at the counter-and my good friend-Kera questions, ceasing her wiping.

Big busted, almost too friendly and always showing off her whitened teeth, Kera has been working here for as long as I have. Her eyes are something I've always been jealous of. The clearest crystal blue like nothing I've seen before. She's from the Wisdom Pack, so naturally very smart, and beautiful.

"I was late," I say blandly, grabbing my name pin off my designated shelf, putting my coat in it's place. Kera rolls her eyes, throwing her wiping towel over her shoulder as she strolls over.

"I have eyes sass," she grins, leaning an elbow against the bench Cook was working at. We just call him Cook because he refuses to tell us his real name. "Want to tell me why?"

I brush past her, and out into the main dining area. I stop behind the counter, looking at table that may need assistance. Only one table is occupied, and Britney, the other waitress seems to have it covered.

"Someone moved into the estate in Phantom Forest," I tell her, releasing a sigh of irritation. Kera, who had come up behind me, eyes widened.

I've never seen the estate, but I have heard about it. Dad told me never to wander into the forest, and after I disputed my belief in Phantom Wolves, he told it was private property.

"Who?" Kera questioned, twisting her body around so she can look me in the eye. She knows how her eyes always evoke the most honest answers out of me. Almost like Casper's...