Chapter 3 - Wicked Games

* If you began reading this story prior to January 11th, 2015, major revisions have been posted that affect the plot and storyline. 

Leaning against the side of the car, Penelope waits for her brother. Glancing at her watch, she sees twenty minutes have passed since the final bell.

“Where the hell are you, Ash?” She mutters, grabbing her phone and punching the speed dial for Ash.

“Speak.” Ash’s voice comes over the line, clear and distracted.

“What the hell is taking you so long? I want to go home.” She knows she sounds petulant but doesn’t care.

“It’s Tuesday.”

“And?”

“What happens every Tuesday, P?” He sighs, annoyed.

“Crap. Newspaper.”

“Bingo. Rachel, that article needs to be cut down by 150 words. Stop bitching or we’ll drop the whole thing.” He calls away from the phone. “You can wait or you can leave. It’ll be at least another hour.”

“I’ll see you at home.” She ends the call without waiting for a reply. The clouds building in the sky look ominously like rain, and her school loafers aren’t made for running. Throwing her backpack over her shoulders, she pulls her jacket closed and trudges down the sidewalk. About a block from the school, the rain starts, a slow sprinkle turning to a steady stream of water within minutes. Not a downpour yet, but it will be before she makes it home. Glancing over her shoulder, she considers going back to wait for Ash and sees a black car keeping pace with her. She quickens her step. Not enough to draw attention to the change, but enough to make her feel safe. Her muscles tighten. Preparing to run.

The passenger window of the car glides open. Penelope continues to look forward. Not giving the creep the satisfaction of knowing that she’s even remotely aware of him.

“Penelope.” The voice calls. She pauses momentarily, then keeps going. “Penelope… Ms. Chisholm.” She stumbles to a halt. Turning to her left, she leans forward to see inside the car.

“Mr. Staal?” She smiles, seeing his brown eyes peering out at her.

“Get in, I’ll drive you home.”

Without hesitation, Penelope steps towards the car. Pulling the door open, she slides her backpack off and settles into the seat in one smooth motion.

“Thank you! I am soaked.” She wraps her wet hair up in a clip to keep it from dripping on her clothes. Pulling up the edge of her skirt, she wipes the moisture from her bare legs.

“I was surprised to see you in my classroom this morning.” Gilbert’s eyes only partially on the road. “I thought you were… older, when we met this morning.”

“You’re surprised!? I meet a total hottie while out on a run only to find out he’s my teacher?” Penelope replies, oblivious to her driver’s gaze as she concentrates on drying herself off. “And I thought you were younger.”

“A hottie ‘eh?” He chuckles.

“What?” Penelope looks up, “God. Did I say that out loud?” Embarrassment colours her face the shade of cherries.

“Hey, it’s always flattering to have a pretty girl calls you a hottie.” Gilbert smirks.

“You think I’m pretty, Mr. Staal?” She bats her eyelashes comically.

“Call me Gil.” He smiles “At least when we’re out of school. Mr. Staal makes me feel like an old man.”

“Okay… Gil.” She smiles, sinking back into her chair.