Chapter 8 - Close to You

* If you began reading this story prior to January 11th, 2015, major revisions have been posted that affect the plot and storyline. 

Watching her brother glide out into the backyard, Penelope continues to pedal the elliptical trainer. She can’t figure out why Ash can’t just keep his feelings to himself. The first time in weeks that they’ve been able to sit down for dinner as a family, and he ruins it. Pushing herself harder, she tries to drown out her annoyance with the sound of her heartbeat and reading. Sweat drips from her hairline, rolling down the side of her face. She wipes it away with an equally sweaty arm. From her room, she hears the sound of her cell phone chiming. The tone set for Gil.

Foregoing her cool down, Penelope jumps down from the still moving pedals. For a second her legs feel like jelly, giving out briefly. She catches herself, ignores the pain, and skips to her bedroom, opening the message as she flops onto her bed. “Why don’t we try out some of the paths near my house tomorrow?”

“Your house is where?” Her fingers fly across the keys. The phone sounds again as she begins stretching.

“Langwood Dr.”

“That’s a long way for a run…”

“I come all the way over to your side of town every morning. And, if you come over tonight, you’d already be here.”

“Oh my god! Oh my god! Oh my god!” Penelope squeals, flopping back on her bed and kicking her feet up in the air. Flipping back onto her stomach, she begins typing. “Are you propositioning me, sir?”

The reply is instantaneous. “I have a guest room for pesky company.”

“Not pesky. Charming.”

“Something like that… So, are you up for it?”

“The question is are you up for it?” She smiles as she types the words.

“Definitely.”

Penelope reads the message, closes her eyes, and takes a deep breath. This is what she’s been wanting. What she’s been waiting for. Opening her eyes, she types the reply before she can change her mind. “I’ll be there in an hour.” Send.

She runs to the stairs. “Mom!” She yells from the landing.

“Yes, honey.” Her mother peeks over the railing above her.

“I’m going to stay at Rowena’s tonight. Okay?”

“Alright. Have a good time.”

“Thanks.” She turns back towards her room.

“Honey?” Her mother’s voice follows her.

“Yeah?”

“I made peanut brittle yesterday. Do you want to take some with you? I know it’s Rowena’s favourite.”

A momentary flash of guilt passes through Penelope. “Sure. Thanks, Mom.”

In her room, she strips out of her sweaty workout clothes. After flipping on the water in the shower, she grabs her phone and punches her friend’s name.

“Ladycakes.” Rowena answers cheerfully.

“Lovelylocks. I need a favour.”

“Does it involve me joining you for a run?”

“Nope.”

“Then ask away.”

“If anyone asks, I’m staying at your house tonight.”

“Where are you staying that you don’t want… wait, are you staying where I think you’re staying?”

“Yeah.”