Chapter 4 - Precious Moments

* If you began reading this story prior to January 11th, 2015, major revisions have been posted that affect the plot and storyline.        

Flopping backwards onto the bed, Ash stares up at the lacy yellow canopy above him. He cringes, hating Brooke’s overly girly side. He pushes aside a number of stuffed animals as he scoots back to rest against the mountain of pillows. His sock feet knead the thick down comforter. Reaching for the remote, he mutes the always squawking television at the end of the bed, his eyes closing against the staring eyes of a row of ceramic dolls along the wall.

“Hey, Brooke.” He calls towards the closet.

“Yea-huh?” Her voice travels from inside the walk-in.

“Did you have the new guy today?”

“The sub?”

“Yeah.”

“Nope. But I saw him.” Her voice now sounds much closer. “He’s pretty hot.”

“You think so, do ya?” Ash’s eyes open to find her standing beside the bed, wearing only her white school blouse hanging open and her underwear. Her long, red hair hangs in waves over her shoulders. “Hotter than me?” He smirks.

“What do you think?” She crawls onto his lap, her hands play with the buttons of his shirt, his tie already discarded on the floor by his coat. Sliding her arms around his neck, Brooke pulls him into a seated position. His hands slide up the tops of her thighs. Fingers playing against skin. Responding to his girlfriend’s very obvious wants. Her lips press against his neck. His breath catching as her teeth graze a sensitive spot at the nape.

“Do you think there’s something a little off about that guy?” Ash finds himself unexpected distracted.

“Hmmm?” Brooke mutters. Fingernails dance against the now exposed skin of his back.

“Mr. Staal. Do you think there’s something, I don’t know, weird about him?”

“He’s a teacher. They’re all weird.” Her lips begin tracing his collarbone. “Who chooses to spend their life in school?”

“No. I mean, I just get a weird vibe from him. He was asking me about Penelope.”

Brooke sits up, a heavy sigh escaping through her nose. The burst of air tickles the skin of Ash’s chest. “You’re thinking about your teacher and your sister right now?” She indicates her naked torso. “At this exact moment.”

“Hmmm?” He looks down. “Oh right, sorry.” He wraps his arms around her. His teeth nipping at the skin of her shoulder the way he knows she likes. He feels her hands travelling down towards his belt. Out of the corner of his eye, he notices the image on the television. His chin comes to rest on Brooke’s shoulder as he watches. “Hang on.”

“Ash, come on.” Brooke whines in her cutest, girliest voice. “Can’t you wait to watch tv?”

“Shhh.” His hands wrap around her waist, lifting her off his lap and placing her beside him on the bed. Reaching across her, he lifts the remote from the nightstand and hits the volume button. The voice of the newscaster sounds over the video of a man with shaggy blonde hair being led into the police station in handcuffs. Throwing herself back against the pile of pillows with a giant huff, Brooke crosses her arms over her chest, sulking.

“A suspect was arrested today for the murder of Shondra Bleeker, whose body was found last May in Stanley Park. 30 year old Regin…”

The tv goes mute as Brooke points the remote at it and continues to sulk.

Ash turns to his girlfriend “I was watching that.”

She crosses her arms over her chest and glares at him.