nine: the only boy we tolerate

"Just talk to her." I said to myself, letting out a breath after.

"You said you were."

I glanced at Dinah, taking a breath before continuing to repeat in my head,"Just talk to her. Just talk to her. Just talk to her." I felt my palms begin to sweat, watching the Puerto Rican grab some stuff out of her locker."What's the worse that could happen?"

"She could stop talking to you..." Dinah started, and I honestly thought she would stop when she saw me look at her incredulously. But no, she continued,"curse you out...she's hispanic, and everyone knows how they have an attitude so she will slap you." She stopped to let out a small laugh."That would be funny."

"Dinah." Normani muttered, slapping the girl's arm, making her look at her. Normani pointed at me with her eyes, causing the Polynesian to chuckle quietly.

"Right. Sorry. Nothing bad is going to happen." Dinah covered up, smiling at me innocently.

I puffed air out of my mouth, looking back at Dorelys and now seeing her shut her locker, then pick her backpack up from the floor. She turned around, meeting my eyes before she made her way over to us.

I started to panic, turning around to look at Dinah and Normani."No. I can't. I can't do this. I lied. I was kidding. I'm not going to talk to her–"

"Morning, guys." I pursed my lips, sighing quietly when I saw the pointed look Dinah was giving me. I huffed at myself, turning around to face Dorelys and forced a smile on my lips. She smiled at me, then looked at Dinah and Normani.

"Morning, Rels." Normani responded to the Latina, while Dinah kept poking my back with her nail, really sharp nail making me have to hold back a groan.

"Okay." I moved away from her to stand next to Dorelys, rubbing my back with my right hand as I squinted my eyes at her."That hurt." I muttered.

"What's going on?" Dorelys looked between me and the Polynesian, who does a good job on looking innocent.

"Oh nothing, Y/n, here just has to talk to you." Dorelys looked at me, then back at Dinah, allowing me to shoot Dinah a look. The Polynesian shrugged innocently, about to say something until someone yelled loudly.

"I'm back, bitches!"

Our heads turned to the direction it came from, and I saw a guy running towards us. He stopped in front of us, and I was confused as to why, until the girls squealed and practically jumped on him. I scratched my head, standing by myself awkwardly, rocking back and forth on my feet as I watched them interact.

"When did you get back?" Dorelys asked first, after the many excited small talk of him being back.

"Yesterday. I completed the training and guess what?" He said confidently, the girls waited, probably knowing he was going to tell them even if they didn't guess."They want me to go right after graduation. I'm being sent to Germany for my first year."

I furrowed my eyebrows, what is he talking about? And who the hell is he?

The girls didn't seem pleased by this, because their smiles dropped and stayed quiet as soon as the words left his mouth. So he could either be talking about college, or being sent to the army. Don't ask me how I got those two assumptions.

"Come on, guys." The guy sighed out, rubbing his neck nervously as he looked at their faces individually."I thought you guys would be happy about this. This is what I've been wanting to do since I was in middle school."