two

two : his perspective

   I felt the sun warm onto my fur. I let out a small mewl as I rolled over, not opening my eyes. I bump into a giant form of a sleeping cat, had I shifted in my sleep? No, I was on top of Sandkit, wasn't I? I taste the air, but I could only smell the damp fur of my mother and the pine smell of Rosekit. Twitching my whiskers, I sense a faint salty scent- Sandkit.

   I frown, swishing my tail around myself to make sure that Sandkit hadn't just disappeared. Mother didn't stir, as did Rosekit. Sighing, I get up, twitching my ear as Rosekit let out an uncomfortable grunt. The chatter of cats could be heard outside, so I assume the sun is up. There was a loud, clear voice of the deputy as he called to the cats that had gotten no food.

Speaking of which....

As if on cue, I could sense the woodsy pelt of my father. There seemed to be a mouse dangling from his jaws, as their was the sweet smell of mouse somewhere in the nursery. I blindly stumble over to him, bumping into something large- his leg, perhaps?

There's a thump onto the ground as I imagine him parting his jaws to greet me. "Smokekit!" I hear his loud, deep voice boom from somewhere above me. "I brought this mouse for you, Sorrelfire and Rosekit!" I looked up to where I thought his face was, I imagine a handsome tom with slivery fur smiling down at me. I will never know what he really looks like, as I rarely saw him before I went blind.

   Ah, blindness. It's just a consequence to my bad luck, I assume. I remember the occasion quite well, as it was the last thing I saw.

   Mother had left in the middle of the day, where Rosekit and I are supposed to be asleep. Being the detective I was, I trailed after her. She had stopped at the river, where the ones lost in the Great Battle were buried. It was a single grave that she stopped by- Ambertuft's. Now, I don't know if she was remembering something bad or something else, but as I walked up to her and tapped her tail with my paw, she had lashed out at me. I remember the pain, the blurry scene of Mother wrapping her tail around me. Of Mother apologizing over and over again. The memory had stopped there, as I believe I had blacked out.

   Mother couldn't bear to see me after that, and I was sent to the Healer's Den for two moons, to heal my eyes and to calm my anxiety. Of course, when one had three cuts across both open eyes and a inexperienced Healer, I would go blind.

   I quickly thank Father, who left after that to train, and take the mouse. I awkwardly walk back to where Rosekit and Mother were, dropping the mouse at where I thought their paws were. Rosekit stirred and I imagine that slowly opened her eyes, which I always thought to be gold.

   "Did Father catch the mouse?" She asks, her voice as melodic and velvety as normal. I nod, and take a bite. The warm blood floods into my mouth, and I flick my tail as the sweet taste fills me. Rosekit seemed to be amused, as I heard her tail swish across the mossy ground.

   Then I remember Sandkit, had Rosekit not notice or had she not cared? Frowning, I look up at Rosekit.

   "Sandkit is missing." I say softly, feeling the scents of fear and surprise rush through my older sister.

   "W-what?" Rosekit squeaks, "How did I not notice?" Mother had still not stirred, so Rosekit and I continued our conversation. Maybe we'll find her. Maybe she's dead.

Fact of the Day: Smokekit imagines himself as a fluffy dark gray cat with white ears and paws when he is actually a gray tabby. He sees Rosekit as a pretty, delicate calico when she is a orange and black tortoiseshell and he doesn't think that Yewface has any scars.