Chapter 18

Meta Knight|メタナイト

After Kirby Dee's performance on that day in Earlwinter, when she proved decisively that she is not anything resembling a mere child, I have held back even less in her training. After every few weeks, there comes a point where she has conquered the new tactic I have taught her to add to her repertoire so well that she defeats me in a sparring match. However, always, as soon as training begins the next day, I start to teach her something else she does not know yet or begin to fight even harder than I allowed myself to before then, resulting in my beginning to claim every victory once again.

As time goes on, however, eventually we reach a point where there is little left for me to teach her. Even though overall, I know I am still the superior swordsman, if only thanks to years of experience and practice, she grows more and more to be my equal in the basic respects of ability and technique. More and more often, a spar ends in her favor. Much to my enjoyment, dueling her slowly changes from being my teaching her to being our keeping each other sharp. As time goes on, she becomes a challenge for me, rather than just a chore (even if a most enjoyable one). Truthfully, I believe that after a few more months, as we pass the first anniversary of her transformation into the Kirby Dee, she reaches a point of winning as many of our duels as I do. She has learned well, and for that, I am proud.

Now, as spring turns into summer, I will freely admit that our relationship has gradually developed from being sensei and student, knight and squire, to more like comrades, soldiers prepared to do battle together against any foe which may arise. Indeed, I may still be superior to her in some aspects of swordsmanship, but even so, there are few people whom I would rather have at my side in a fight, even counting my own Meta-Knights.

To continue her training over the months, we took several 'quests' throughout the nearby areas of Dreamland. Many times, it was on the King's orders to handle monster infestations in various localities near the castle, such as Green Greens, Orange Ocean, and Whispy Woods. Other times, we went out looking more for a physical challenge, be it climbing a mountain or volcano, or teaching Kirby Dee how to use her strong lungs to hold her breath underwater for as long of times as Kirby or myself can. Whenever we must do battle together against any foes we met, we took one of two strategies: either she takes the ground and I the air, or, if need be, we fight together on land, each guarding the other's back from any attempts at attack.

Whenever she can find the time and can persuade Kirby to be serious, Kirby Dee practices the Copy Abilities with him out in the castle grounds. She's discovered that aside from having a bit of a knack for Parasol (which honestly isn't much of a surprise; Dedede often arms his wider-ranging Dee forces with umbrellas for protection, for some reason), she simply does not have that much of a hand with the Abilities. Some of them she does better with than others, but the sword is clearly her strong suit. Kirby, on the other hand, is a different story. The constant practice is good for him; the already strong child has grown even stronger and smarter in his prowess over the Abilities. As both of their mentor, it is truly gratifying to watch iron sharpening iron whenever they practice together, whether they are aware of my observing them or not.

The winter, as it went on, was very cold and rainy, so Kirby Dee spent much of her free time in the secret library. More often than not, you could find her in there reading to Bandanna Dee and Kirby, the three of them curled up together inside her curtain-turned-blanket. Oftentimes, I would warp, (or, in other words, teleport; another handy trick my Dimensional Cape possesses) into the library and listen, unnoticed. At first, she would often trip over her words or pronounce one wrong, but as soon as she heard me say the word she struggled with in the next day's conversation (never suspecting that I intentionally used it in order to help her), she'd never have trouble with it again. Truly, she is a quick learner, with a sharp wit and a willingness to work toward her goals. I am glad her mind was freed to be able to learn these things, rather than suffer, untrained, through who-knew-how-many years of servitude.