Chapter Forty-Three: Loki

The night after the battle was a sleepless one.

Few Frost Giants returned to Jotunheim, if any. The Valkyries had come at just the right time, for we Aesir suffered many injuries. We were carried to the infirmary and put under the care of Eir, who flittered around us like a mother hen. Rani, as usual, never left my side. I was not as seriously injured as before, but my shoulder would be sore for some time.

I was luckier than some. Tyr's hand had been severed, Freyr nursed a broken ankle, and Njord had a nasty gash on his forehead and a possible concussion. Thor suffered only minor cuts and bruises, and somehow Sif's hair had been cut short again, from the blade of a Jotunn who had been chasing her. She was very lucky, she said, because he was aiming for her neck. She and Thor were quietly arguing as Eir tried to tend to Thor's minor wounds. It was a bit comical.

Well into the early morning hours, the infirmary was filled with various gods of Asgard. Freyja eventually stopped by, and stayed to keep an eye on her father and brother. A poignant sadness veiled their faces, understandably so. After all, Skadi had been their mother. Her treachery had come as a surprise to all of us.

Eir was terribly busy, but she managed to send away those whose injuries were minor as soon as she was sure they were under control. Only Tyr and Freyr got any sleep, thanks to the pain medicine Eir had provided. Freyja kept Njord awake, so he didn't succumb to the concussion. Rani checked on the two periodically, wringing her hands with worry, but she never strayed far from my side.

Lady Eir kept me in the infirmary because she worried that the exertion of battle might have irritated my previous wounds, although I felt fine. Only my shoulder ached. Rani sat beside my bed, unnaturally quiet. I was once again impressed by this mysterious woman at my side. She no longer resembled the small, frightened girl I had met at our engagement party. Instead, she had blossomed into a strong, capable woman. She was still stunningly beautiful, so much that sometimes I could hardly believe this woman belonged to me. But I had come to realize, tonight especially, that I also belonged to her.

These past few months had not been easy, but Rani had never once allowed me to face these trials alone. She had even given up her own personal comforts and freedoms to stay in the dungeons with me. No other had ever shown me such loyalty, such compassion. And she had never asked for a single thing in return. I had nearly watched her die this night, and in those terrifying moments, I felt a wave of guilt like a thousand boulders fall upon me. Rani had done me nothing but good. She had gone far out of her way to try and understand me, and to give me love and kindness no matter what. I did not deserve her love, but I was grateful for it. I was an insanely lucky man. What had I ever done for her? My naive, innocent heart ached. I vowed that I would give her the life she truly deserved.

I turned to her. She was leaning back in her chair, exhausted. Her green eyes were dull, unfocused. "Thank you," I said softly.

She turned to me, a small smile playing on her lips. "For what?" she asked. Her voice was a balm for my soul, the one thing I could always count on, which was exactly what I'd always needed.

"For staying by me," I told her. "For loving me."

Her face relaxed, and I saw a side of her those she dearly loved ever had the pleasure of experiencing. "You don't have to thank me," she laughed. "It just comes naturally."

I reached my hand out and caressed her soft, pale cheek. She closed her eyes and leaned into my palm, sighing softly. My heart was yearning, soaking up this beautiful feeling I'd never known before. It was renewing and revitalizing, bringing luster back to my darkness. I felt like a man saved, cleansed and revived.

I pulled Rani in, and our lips met, sending warm waves of love and devotion through my veins. This was heaven. What had she done to change me so? How could one person turn my world around? I didn't know, and I didn't care. There was no turning back now. I was happy. Mother was right. Rani had saved me.