Chapter Twelve: Loki

I am called the Trickster for a reason. I am a shapeshifter, and I can assume the form of any man or beast. Of course, I've used this power for mischief a time or two. But this time, I wanted to satisfy my curiosity.

My Mother has a soft spot for cats, so there are always cats prowling the castle. This would be the perfect disguise.

I slipped outside my rooms, making sure there was no one in the halls. Once I was satisfied, I transformed in a puff of greenish smoke. And in my place, was a jet black cat with blue eyes.

My paws made no sound as I padded down the hall, towards the east wing. Servants busied themselves around the Palace, for the next few days would be hectic. They paid me no mind; to them, I was just another of Frigga's precious pets. One of the male servants even knelt to pet me; I scurried away.

It did not take me long to find Rani's chambers. Mother had set her up in rooms not far from where Freyja usually stayed. Maids were rushing in and out, bringing her fresh linens, towels, and refreshments. I slunk in the door as it swung open, nearly getting stepped on. I snuck under a table without being spotted, and peered out to find Rani.

She was standing before a long mirror, perched on a pedestal. A seamstress and her assistants were busily taking measurements, while her maidservants stood nearby, holding her house robe. I crouched down and watched.

Rani was clad only in a thin shift, which really didn't leave much to my imagination. I was every bit a gentleman, but since she was not facing me, I felt no need to look away. The seamstress wrapped the measuring tape around Rani's slender wait, then her rounded hips, shouting out measurements for her assistant to scribble down.

"What is all this for again?" Rani asked, keeping very still. She had her arms held out like she was flying.

"New gowns," the seamstress answered brusquely.

"But I have plenty of gowns," insisted the young woman. "I don't think it's necessary..."

"Oh but it is," Rani's servant answered, handing her mistress the robe as the seamstress finished. "you need a coronation gown, and different special occasion gowns, and eventually, a wedding dress."

I saw Rani visibly pale. So she was nervous. I wasn't quite sure how I felt about that... perhaps a bit sympathetic. It seemed we were both a little reluctant.

"What colors do you wear, Lady Rani?" the seamstress asked.

"Oh, well, I am rather fond of dark blue," she said, her voice soft and even. "and charcoal gray. Tell me, what are Lord Loki's colors?"

My heart performed an involuntary flip as she spoke my name. I chided myself. It wouldn't do for me to lose my head over this girl. I hadn't even spoken to her yet.

"Green and gold, My Lady," the seamstress answered.

"Then make me at least one of those, if you please," Rani asked kindly. "Perhaps it will put us off on a good start." I was shocked to see that she cared enough to try and make nice with me.

"She also looks pleasant in soft blue, lilac, and forest green," the maidservant piped up, making Rani blush. The seamstress nodded and led her numerous assistants off, leaving Rani at peace.

She collapsed on a chaise, looking very flushed and yes, quite pretty. But pretty faces could mask cruelty and lies, too. I had learned long ago not to take things at face value.

"Would My Lady like something to drink?" the maid asked.

"Yes, that would be lovely, thank you," Rani replied, resting her palm on her forehead.

I was so busy watching Rani, that I didn't notice the maid coming towards me. Only when she screeched did I break out of my stillness. Her cries made me jolt to my feet.

"What is it?" cried Rani, jumping up.

"A cat!" the maid answered, stepping back.

Rani was dumbstruck a moment, then she laughed. "Oh Idony," she giggled, coming over to me, "calm yourself. Look, he's sweet as can be."

Smiling the best a cat can, I began to rub myself haughtily around Rani's legs. She picked me up and began to pet me. "Oh he's just darling. He must be one of Frigga's pets."

"Ugh," shuddered Idony, "I'm not fond of cats. Not with those claws."

I began to purr and Rani scratched behind my ears. "Well I think he's a delight. But we better send him on his way. My! Would you look at those beautiful blue eyes."

My future wife smiled down at me. Thor's description really did her no justice. Then again, what did I expect from a bumbling oaf? I continued to purr as Rani gently set me down outside her door.

"Run along now," she said, "I wouldn't want Lady Frigga to miss you!"

Unwilling to push my luck, I pranced away, tail in the air. There, I had done it. I had seen her for myself. And yes, she was beautiful, and seemed kind.

But then again, I was never the kind to be won over so easily.