Chapter Thirty-Nine: Skadi

I ventured deep into Jotunheim. The Jotunn would have moved from the camp I'd found them previously, so I skied through the deep snowdrifts. In all senses, Jotunheim was an environment I felt best in. The cold seeped into my bones, the icy wind whipped through my white hair. Fat flakes tickled my face, and the soft quiet of it all stilled my thoughts. The land was mountainous, and the only trees that thrived here were sturdy evergreens. The landscape was haunting and lonesome. I loved it.

The Jotunn were glad to see me this time.

"Skadi!" Gymir exclaimed when he saw me. "Pray tell, what news do you bring?" The other towering Frost Giants gathered round, eager to hear my words. They had only lost a handful of their companions, so their numbers were still considerably thick.

"I have bad news," I said, my voice cracking like a frozen lake. "Odin imprisoned Loki, believing he had sent the attack."

The Jotunn roared with anger. Our kind was not a patient race, and would rather act on impulse instead of thinking things through. I knew this, and I used it to my advantage.

"How dare he!" Gymir screamed, his eyes wide with fury. "First he weds our prince to a Midgardian, then imprisons him!" The others roared in agreement.

"I am just as infuriated as you," I assured them, my voice deep and dangerous. "All of this is because of Rani, the Midgardian girl. She is a witch! She has cast a spell over the Aesir, so that they all fall before her so-called kindness and gentle heart. But I see the truth! She is hell bent to take Loki down with her. We shall not stand for this!"

The Jotunns let out a howl, which echoed across the valley like a phantom's moan. They were ready to rally behind me.

"She is the one who killed Suttung!" a female I didn't recognize cried, tugging at her hair in rage. I hadn't realized that Rani herself had killed a Jotunn, but that was only fuel for my fire.

I relished their anger. With their help, I would tear through Asgard, until I destroyed Rani. I no longer cared who I took down with me. I was hell bent on vengeance, and I wouldn't stop until it was mine. The red-haired vixen would die.