New Day

It was a Monday and it is the first day that I would be working at the Dallas hospital. I woke up early, to get ready for work. I changed into my scrubs, and I grabbed my purse before I walked downstairs. I headed to the kitchen, where I saw William dressed in a suit. He was sipping on some coffee and reading the newspaper when I walked in. 

"How did you sleep?" William asked

"Very good," I replied. "What about you?"

"I slept well."

I smiled at William. There was still some awkwardness between us, but the two of us didn't acknowledge it. We carried on with our life. I grabbed a water bottle and filled it with water so that I could take it to work.

"Oh William, I made an appointment with a highly recommended obstetrician. The appointment is for today after I get off work. I thought I should let you know in case you wanted to tag along." I explained.

William put the newspaper down and looked at me. I became nervous. I had no idea what his thoughts were for this, but I hope that they were going to be good.

"Okay, I'll pick you up from work and we'll head over there. Will that work?"

"Absolutely, also I need a ride to work, as well," I added.

William smiled at me. He got up from his chair and went to his office, where he grabbed his briefcase and keys to the car. I followed him into the garage, where I saw his car. It was a black Range Rover. My mouth dropped once again. William opened the car and we both hopped in. He backed out of the garage and drove me to work.

***

***

We were sitting in the waiting room at the obstetrician office. I was completely calm as we waited for one of the nurses to call us back. But, William was the opposite. He was shaking his leg up and down, and constantly checking his watch. I could only smile because it was so funny.

"William, are you alright?" I asked.

"Yeah, why?"

"You're shaking your leg and you have been checking your watch a lot. Is something wrong?"

"I guess I am just a little bit nervous," William admitted.

I grabbed William's hand and held it tight. He smiled at me and I smiled back at him. I went back to reading the magazine and continued waiting for the nurse. We didn't have to wait that long for the nurse. We followed a nurse back into one of their examining rooms. The nurse handed me a hospital gown to change into before she left the room. I was a little uncomfortable that I had to change in front of William, so I asked him to turn around and face the other wall while I changed out of my clothes. He did what I asked him to, and when I was done changing, I had him turn back around. I sat up on the gynecological chair while we waited for the doctor to come in.

While we were waiting, I was starting to become nervous. I was not ready at all to have a baby. My heart picked up the pace. I felt like I couldn't breathe, so I stood up and walked around the room. William was keeping an eye on me, making sure that I was okay and don't do anything crazy.

"Jannet, sit back in the chair," William advised.

"No, I can't right now," I admitted.

"Why?"

"I'm nervous."

William walked over to me and gave me a hug. I squeezed him tight and I didn't want to let go. The doctor came in and found us hugging. She greeted us and introduced herself before she politely told me to sit in the chair. I did what she said and waited for further instructions. She told William and me what she was going to be doing for this appointment so that I wouldn't freak out. So she put a sheet over my legs and propped my legs up.

We all turned our heads toward the screen. The doctor was silent while she looked at the image. Then she took a picture of the ultrasound and turned the computer off. She put my legs back down so that I could sit normally.

"Well everything looks great." the doctor said. "There is nothing to be concerned about right now, so everything is good. I would advise you to pick up some of our flyers when you leave and I have a couple of recommendations on some books, that are helpful. Other than that, I will see you two at our next appointment."

The doctor shook William's hand and mine. She gave us a picture of the ultrasound before she left the room. William turned back around so that I could change out of the gown and back into my scrubs. Before we left the exam room, William walked over to me and kissed me on the forehead. I was really surprised that he did that, but I have to admit that I liked it.

"Well then, let's get home," William said.

Then we left and headed back home.