Chapter Forty-One

Start from the beginning

"I just hate how people judge me and immediately assume I'm gay just because it's obvious I'm not straight," he cried. "I hate it, Ellie."

"I know, my darling," she said softly, and he burrowed his face into the crook of her neck, hugging her. "I know it's hard. But if I cared, would I date you? Would I willingly be your girlfriend?"

"I can't help but- but feel like you don't think I'm- I'm man enough-"

"Man enough?" she questioned softly, and she could see his ears going red. She kissed the top of his head, and held him against her chest, letting him cry. "What do you mean, man enough?"

"You deserve a guy who is manly, and who can protect you, and is super muscly, and hasn't got love handles, and doesn't have freckles and can grow a beard and-"

"That doesn't make sense. Who needs someone who's masculine? Not me." She smiled, looking at him. "I love having someone who I can talk about guys and shopping with, and having him agree with me? Both of us having the same taste in guys? What wouldn't a girl give to have both her boyfriend and her best friend bundled into one package?"

He sniffled, pulling away, and whispered, "Really?"

"Why would I ever lie to you?" she breathed.

"You wouldn't," he said quietly.

"Exactly." She leaned forward and kissed him gently, before pulling away and smiling slightly. "Don't you ever, ever think that you're not good enough for me. You're worth the world and more, do you understand?"

He nodded, and she smiled slightly, reaching over and touching his piercings in his ears. "Hey, you got the other one done too?"

"Y-Yeah."

"I love them," she said. "They suit you."

"You think so?"

"I know so." She smiled slightly. "I don't want you to be afraid anymore. I love you."

"I love you, too." He smiled in response, and she kissed him again, brushing his tears away. "I know you love me."

"But sometimes, I think I just need to remind you of that."

"Yeah."

"Hey, honey." Ryan walked in, holding Red, whose bright blue eyes were gazing around in serene wonder.

"Hi, Ma."

"Hi, Ryan.

She smiled at them both, and Drew immediately reached for Red, who he adored beyond anything. She handed her to him with a small laugh, and he held her tenderly. His heart slowed down as he cradled her. It was almost soothing, to see her slightly blotchy skin and her soft, thick blonde hair covering her forehead. "How are you, Ellie?" asked Ryan gently.

She shrugged slightly. "It's a good day."

"Yeah? Feeling good?"

"Better than I was last week." She gave her a small smile. "Where's Pa?"

"He decided to stay at home and look after the kids. He said he's missed them, and he wanted to talk to them again."

"That makes sense."

"Actually, Lola texted me today."

She perked up. "Lola?"

"Yeah. Said she was in town, and that she wanted to visit. She'll be here soon."

"That's awesome! I've missed her."

"It's good, yeah. I haven't seen her in a long time, too. How's she been?"