↳ CHAPTER FOURTEEN

  TEN-YEAR-OLD Annika had been very adamant on asking her mother what it was like to be in love, and the answer she had gotten was that loving someone you shouldn't was a hardship, one difficult to overcome without earning some scars in the process, but it could be worth it in the end. If it was meant to be, things worked out. Obviously, Annika hadn't understood then what her mother had meant, but now that she had undeniably fallen for Lucifer, things were starting to make sense. She had considered that Lucifer didn't love her back, that she was merely one of his many women to conquer, but now, everything was working out. She was feeling the magic that her mother had hoped for her.

    Lucifer had explained to her and Dan that he had cut a deal with Malcolm, who had made a different call and let the man live. The person who had actually shot Lucifer had been the murderer Chloe had been on the hunt for, and once the investigation had been shut and sealed, Annika had been welcomed back with hugs and praise. Afterwards, it was Lucifer's time to pamper the poor woman with his luxury shower and all the food her heart could only desire.

    "Are you certain you're alright?" Lucifer asked for the millionth time, his eyes full of concern as he watched Annika devour more and more fries while they sat opposite one another on his bed. Being tangled in his sheets with junk food was just about everything Annika could have hoped for, and so, she could give him a genuine smile along with a reassuring touch on his hand.

    "I will be. I won't deny that it was a lot, so I'm going to make an appointment with a professional to talk through it. But right now, I'm as good as I can be", she swore, although she had to admit that Malcolm still being out there was a worrisome thought. "Besides, you're the one that got shot", she added matter-of-factly, earning a nod from Lucifer who couldn't argue back. But for someone who had almost died, he was doing impressively well.

    "Yes, well, I've got an excellent therapist now that you're looking for one", Lucifer pointed out with a grin, and matching the expression, Annika leaned over the fast-food bag to land a hand on the man's cheek and pull him into a gentle kiss.

    When she withdrew, though, she didn't appear quite so happy anymore. "I appreciate that. I don't think that drinking with Maeve is gonna fix this one", she mumbled, unsure how to proceed but she knew he had to break the news about Amenadiel eventually. "You know, when we went to the auction, I had no idea the other man was your brother. He posed as a substitute teacher at the school", she explained with a sense of gloom settling into the back of her mind yet again.

    Similarly, Lucifer was tensing under her touch. "You're not saying what I think you are, are you?" he gritted out, and all it took was one nod from her for his eyes to lit up with fire. Raging red replaced the soothing, warm brown Annika had been gazing into and the faint smile on his lips twisted into something infuriated, while his hand on hers tightened to nearly crushing. "I suppose I will have to pay Amenadiel a visit tomorrow", he huffed out with a growl, already picturing his fist colliding with his brother's face. Being the target himself was something he could deal with, but Annika was where he drew the line.