↳ CHAPTER THIRTEEN

  LUCIFER WASN'T STUPID. Annika was counting on that, and she was right to do so, because once Amenadiel had lied that the woman was out of town to visit her mother, he had known something to be terribly wrong. The man had told Mazikeen to start searching for Annika right away, and as the demon made her way through all of L.A, Lucifer had forcibly entered the Hayden's home only to find an empty room and dead silence — well, except for poor Violet, who had been alone for too long. So, Lucifer took the kitten in the hopes that Maze would grow a liking to her, but there was no Annika anywhere. That frustrated him to a point where he lost control back at Lux, leaving him throwing bottles and trashing the furniture.

    He had lost her, and the fear that he wouldn't find her was impossible to stomach.

    After putting himself together, Lucifer drove his Corvette to the police station where he sought Chloe's help in sheer despair. The two were working on a case regarding the murder of a famous philanthropist, but right now, Lucifer couldn't care less — the man was dead already, but Annika could have still been alive. At the very least, he refused to consider the alternative.

    "Annika has been taken, Detective. I've already sent Mazikeen on her way to roam the city but we cannot waste any time. We must go now and find her at any cost", Lucifer insisted, his emotions rising to the surface as he paced back and forth at Chloe's desk.

    Putting down the files in her hands, Chloe shook her head in disbelief and interrupted Lucifer's rant. "Wait—hold on, calm down. Are you sure she's missing?" she asked carefully, wary about how strongly Lucifer could react. She cared about Annika too, but there was always the chance that Lucifer was being dramatic.

    But, demanding otherwise, Lucifer pulled out his phone with shaky hands and opened the text messages he had sent Annika only to receive evident lies. "Her house was empty. I asked her where she is and she told me she's with her mother", Lucifer rambled, and Chloe gave him a look as if to settle the mystery, but he was continuing with a vigorous wave of his hand. "Her mother is dead. That means she was either forced to lie or someone else is using her phone for her, Detective", he explained vehemently, and slowly, Chloe was beginning to see the troubling signs.

    "Alright, listen, you're definitely too close to this, and we're in the middle of another investigation, so—", Chloe started, but before she could suggest putting someone else on the task, Lucifer was slamming his fist against the opposite desk and causing the table to crack under his strength. Papers flew everywhere and a heavy silence landed in the precinct, but rather than caring about the stares landing on him, Lucifer gave Chloe a pained stare.

    "No, you don't—you don't understand. We need to find her now", he pleaded in a weak whisper, and unable to do anything else except nod, Chloe was reaching out to him with a comforting hand.

    "I'm putting my best people on it, okay? Right now, we have a charity event to attend, remember? I promise, she's going to be found. What I need from you, is to stop worrying and trust that she's going to be fine", Chloe declared in an attempt to calm him down, and although Lucifer doubted it was going to be that easy to shake it off of his shoulders, he gave her a solemn nod. Chloe was good at what she did, anyway — and since she was excellent at solving mysteries, Lucifer's heart after meeting Annika was no longer one.