↳ CHAPTER FOUR

MORNING ARRIVED WITH UNEXPECTED PEACE despite the strain and aching in Annika's back, all of it caused by falling asleep on the couch with all her limbs uncomfortably nestled onto the lumpy, old cushions

  MORNING ARRIVED WITH UNEXPECTED PEACE despite the strain and aching in Annika's back, all of it caused by falling asleep on the couch with all her limbs uncomfortably nestled onto the lumpy, old cushions. Nonetheless, when her eyes finally parted and found the living room ceiling, illuminated by streaks of sunlight bleeding in from outside, her lips curled up and there was no denying that Lucifer was the reason behind the insistent smile refusing to fade away. It was an odd combination to consider — happiness and the Devil, but when Annika weighed her options, she could only accept that the previous day hadn't been worth a smile until Lucifer had shown up.

    The thought of the man was finally what got Annika to sit up with a groan. She could remember settling down on the couch with her legs entangled with Lucifer's with their heads on opposite armrests, yet he was now nowhere to be seen. Or, not until she was rising from her slumber and rubbing her eyes just in time to find Lucifer moving around in her kitchen, swaying to imaginary music while preparing what seemed a lot like breakfast. The view earned a chuckle from Annika as she stretched and landed her feet on the chilly floor, making the boards creak and successfully gaining Lucifer's attention on her.

    "Good morning, darling. Correct me if I'm wrong...", he hummed and drew his gaze away from Annika to slowly slide his eggs from the pan to the sandwich he had already prepared and plated. "But I believe this is the second morning we share after our second night of not having sex. Something must be truly wrong with me. Or you, perhaps?" he wondered out loud while handing over the delicious sandwich Annika couldn't wait to dig in, even if she made sure to send him a stern look.

    "Did you have a cooking class in Hell or are you just a natural talent?" she elected not to insist that his claims didn't make it onto her list of flaws, but instead, she munched on the sandwich happily. The presence of food got her cat to make an appearance too, and as Violet seated herself on Annika's lap once the woman made it to the dining table, every part of the morning seemed just about perfect.

    Laughing out loud — which Annika found herself deeply enjoying — Lucifer rounded the table so he could lean over and take in a deep breath while bringing his intent stare to Annie's brown eyes. "Oh, I'm a natural at several things. Care to find out?" the man teased, making it impossible for not Annika to become flustered, which only pleased him further. It seemed that every time she thought herself to have the upper hand, Lucifer pulled a fast one on her, inevitably leaving her subdued by his charms.

    Nevertheless, Annika fought back silently and after finishing her sandwich, she was escaping the tension by carrying the empty plate over to the sink. Once she turned around, however, there Lucifer was again — inches away from her, not too suffocating but not afraid to take risks, either. Danger and temptation shone in his eyes as he stepped closer, and poor Annika, with her breath hitching in her throat, felt weight build on her heart until she thought she was going to pass out. She hadn't expected to find herself so smitten, but she suspected it was an effect Lucifer had on most people, and she failed to be an exception.