↳ CHAPTER SEVEN

  ALTHOUGH ANNIKA HAD told Lucifer that someday, she might accompany him and Detective Decker on another case, she didn't expect to find the man on her doorstep in a matter of days, wearing his infamous grin and suit with the wish of cashing in her promise. Maybe it had been foolish of her to assume otherwise — whenever Lucifer wanted something, he went after it without a hint of patience, and so, once Annika had barely gotten home from her own job, the doorbell had rung.

    "Afternoon, darling. How would you like to spend the rest of the day as Annika Hayden — Civilian Consultant for the LAPD?" Lucifer proposed with his usual flair, surprising Annika as soon as she had opened the door. Rendered silent, the brunette glanced into her house with the temptation to curl up on the couch with a book and her cat, and evidently, Lucifer could sense the hesitation. "It's a missing persons case...", he sang carefully, earning a smile from Annika while she leaned against the doorway and crossed her arms over her chest.

    "How did you even make that happen?" she wondered out loud, referring to the new title she had earned, all the while eyeing Lucifer suspiciously. If there was one thing she had learned about him for sure, it was that he was bold enough to make things happen whenever he set his mind on something — that, along with the undeniable charm and supreme confidence he radiated, left her heart beating and her palms sweating. It was kind of embarrassing, really, but she tried to play it cool.

    And how could she help it, anyway? Lucifer was downright dreamy, especially when he was looking at her like that.

    "Are you certain you wish to find out?" he pointed out, but before Annika could say a thing, he was shrugging casually. "I suppose I'm just rather talented when it comes to persuading people. Must be something about this face", he continued with the usual hint of arrogance while taking his hands out of his pockets and stepping past Annika to wander indoors.

    With a suppressed smile, Annika shut the door and turned on her heel, just in time to find Lucifer poking her little Violet curiously. "Must be", she inhaled, "listen, I really appreciate you asking me, but I'm beyond tired so I'd just like to take a shower, drink a glass of wine and then head to bed." Instead of being troubled in any way, Lucifer stood up with the fluffy kitten in his arms and a wide grin painted across his face, tugging on Annika's heartstrings in the process. There was a reason she wasn't a math teacher, but a hot guy with cute animals was the one equation she did know. Swoon-worthy.

    "Oh, is that an invite, Miss Hayden?" he taunted before letting Violet wander off and straightening out his jacket with determination. "Right, of course. Sex first, missing girl later", he cleared his throat in addition, and as he proceeded to loosen his tie and kick off his shoes, Annika was intervening with her hands thrown out in protest. Undeniably, it wasn't easy to stop Lucifer from undressing right in front of her, but before she could lose grip of her self-control, she was grabbing her keys and phone and gesturing towards the front door.