↳ CHAPTER THIRTEEN

Start from the beginning

    It was obvious, perhaps not to Lucifer himself, but he cared about Annika a lot more than he had confessed to.

—————

    ANNIKA WASN'T ALONE anymore. Turned out, Malcolm Graham was a grade-A douchebag — first of all, Annika had begged for him to just let her go and in response, he had knocked her out. Secondly, when she woke up again with her head feeling like an anvil had been dropped on her, she discovered someone else tied to the same post as her. Annika wished she could have been surprised when the beaten man by her side revealed himself to be Dan, meaning that whatever Malcolm had needed him for, hadn't exactly worked out. But despite the unfortunate circumstances, Annika was relieved to have some company, especially when that company was a friend to trust in.

    "You okay, Annika?" Dan wondered once Annika was fully awake, her groggy eyes used to the lack of light and her body regaining posture and balance. Groaning, she tilted her head back until it hit the hard post and she found herself staring at the ceiling in bitter defeat. Any moment now, Lucifer could be dead and there was nothing she could do about it — and sure, she had been smacked around but her heart ached the most.

    Softly chuckling, Annika shook her head and took in a trembling breath before trying to glance at Dan. "I can't believe you got dragged into this", she sighed sympathetically, the already familiar feeling of panic nestling into her as she continued to smile despite being utterly unhappy in every possible way. Time since Lucifer's texts had passed and Annika was still no closer to being free, and it was no lie to say that she was growing more and more hopeless by the second.

    "I could say the same about you. What are you even doing here?" Dan asked in worry, trying to look over his shoulder to make sure Annika was alright, but the quiet sniffles rising from her proved the opposite. The last time she had felt as lost was when her mother had died and she had to accept being alone. And while she wasn't alone anymore, she couldn't take losing another person she loved so dearly.

    "I fell for the Devil?" Annika suggested, hoping to lighten the mood but her drained smile was far from amused. "You know, it's weird. I wasn't sad before I met him, but he still makes me so much happier. Even when I just think about him. And now, Malcolm is going to kill him and I'm stuck here", she continued in misery, pain growing inside her like a wildfire burning out her heart.

    Silence landed in the air, and Annika wondered how strange this had to be for Dan. To be tied to his kid's English teacher, who was seemingly in love with the annoying guy at his workplace. The thought almost made the Hayden laugh, but before she could, he was speaking up with defiance.

    "Not necessarily. While you were out cold, Malcolm was eating and I kicked the plate over so I managed to grab the knife. So, while I really don't get what you see in that guy, I suggest we get the Hell out of here and save Lucifer", Dan offered some good news, and with shock igniting in Annika, she looked down just in time to see the man holding up a knife he was grinding against his ties to cut them open.

    Comforting relief flooded in like a warm hug and Annika let out an amazed sigh. "Dan, you're amazing", she praised when the man yanked his wrists enough to make the ties around them snap. It seemed that Dan getting kidnapped had been more of a blessing than a curse, and she was convinced of that when he was rushing to undo the ties holding Annika back.

    Quicker than expected, the pressure around Annika loosened and she instantly grabbed her aching wrists to rub the irritated skin until the burning eased a little bit. Freedom felt good, although hunger still gnawed at her stomach, but her main priority was following Dan towards the exit so they could find Lucifer.