Chapter 14 -- Between Deals and Compromises

"You don't want me to do it?" He said quietly. He wasn't asking her; he was trying to tell himself that. Lillie stood still, not answering. She knew now with complete certainty that it was impossible to hide from the master of the manor. If Lillie flew like he expected her to, she would only make him more determined. She wasn't going to be a subject of his interest. Once he has conquered the unattainable in his mind, he will leave her. She must confront him and stop him. She must show him that acquiring her is a dead end. There is no way she is not going to be in that cursed journal. She is not going to cry and write about her heartache. She was here to start over--to find true love, not lust.

"You don't even know me, my lord." She whispered. He was too close and tall and crowding in this small room, and she felt small. He was almost suffocating with diverging thoughts and plans.

"Must you insist on calling me, my lord?" He asked, tracing her jawline with his hand. His fingers stopped at the corner of her mouth. She was so--there wasn't a word that could describe her. He wondered how she could look so good stuffed in her absurd coat? He must be completely losing his mind. How can a lass tempt him with just gazes that say so much more than her words could? How could her frosty stares pull him and push him simultaneously? When the frost in her eyes melts, a longing calls to him but quickly as he imagined it, her cold gaze narrows at him with her pouting frowns. Was it her lack of experience that aroused a curiosity in him? It must be her resolve to avoid him at all cost. He was a fool for drowning out the warnings in his head. It was true; there was nothing he did hate more than deception, and Lillie smelled of lies. Her stories were not fitting with the information he had acquired in London. He didn't want to continue making the mistake he seemed to make concerning her. His aunt coming with her children was a miracle in disguise, even though unfortunate events led to it.

"I am only reminding you of my place, my lord," she said. Only she could insult him so beautifully. And what pray tell was her place? He thought. He was going to let her have her false sense of safety. He is going to untangle all her secrets. If she were unwilling to tell him so, he would find out through other means. He already knew she could read, and what more could he find? She was like his own private meadow, one that his title nor wealth didn't give to him. A field he acquired of his free will, one he perfected with his own hands. She could be his little haven, escape, where his imaginary existence can flourish.

"They are quite young and so would require a constant watch. For the time being, Sally will eliminate your kitchen duties. If you have other questions."

She was dismissed. No, the young Duke wasn't going to make advances now. He actually called her to inform her of her added chore. She knew he didn't have to. Sally or Beth's mother could have told her, but he wanted to inform her himself because he wanted to dismantle whatever sanity she had left. She also knew he was sensing her lies. She was slipping quite scandalously. With a slight bow, she left him to his own devices. He was frustrating to no end.

Was she going to be taking care of children now? She wondered. In the past, she was both a terrible sister and child, and she sure would ruin the children under his care. She knew that without the financial crisis, he would likely not bring her close to the children.

***

The day the carriage came, she waited outside in line with the maid who would help her manage the children. The Duchess of Blackwood was present to welcome her sister as well. Lillie thought the Duchess fair, but her sister was whiter than snow. How does one manage to be this white? She wondered. Lillie was more colorful, and now that she has begun working as a maid, she has become even darker. She didn't mind. Lillie was not on the marriage mart to be analysed. If anything, she was glad. It helped with her disguise. The children dressed in mourning like their mother had solemn faces. The young Duke didn't inform Lillie of how he came to acquire the job of looking after his aunt. And by looking at it, she knew it must be under some unfortunate circumstances.