Chapter 1 -- The Escape

"Desperation is the raw material of drastic change. Only those who can leave behind everything they have ever believed in can hope to escape. "

― William S. Burroughs

***

I know the first two chapters are not full of actions, but it will get better. I am just trying to set everything in its proper place. I hope you don't give up on me! I promise it will be worth it.

———————————————————

Chapter — 1 The Escape

Earlier

"Miss Lillian," the newly employed maid called quietly. She was sent to wake Lillian to tell her the dance teacher was waiting for her in the study.

The maid was inexperienced, therefore, afraid to lose her job, for the other maids have told her what the first-born daughter, Lillian, could do. They have said; don't make a sound when she is sleeping. If you wake her up, do it in the softest voice you could master. Don't rush her when she is picking her evening gowns. Please don't stare at her too much—act as if you are not there because that is what she would want of her maids.

Being there only today, she was trembling. She needs this job to provide for her little son. Her parents have sent her to work to earn money to raise her child. The real world was scarier. She has never been out in the work field like her father, who is the family's rock; he had worked since he was twelve, supporting his siblings when his drunken father spent all the family money on alcohol—coming home late, with bad breath and bloodshot eyes.

So without a choice, her father has taken the load of the family. He has taken all the beating and angry words of his father to protect his siblings from getting the blow of their father's anger. He has gone into houses cleaning and washing while his friends are out playing, with no worries. He quit school, focusing all his time and energy on bringing food to the table at the end of the day.

His father has blamed him for the death of his mother, whom he barely remembers. His father's words have soaked out the light in his eyes. His heart was cold until he met her mother. Yet, his experience has shaped his belief in family values. He never once touched alcohol because he knows and still carries the scars alcohol has done on his family.

"Miss-"

"For God's sake, is a simple sleep too much to ask for?" Lillian grumbled, directing her anger at the now-crying maid. Why mother can't hire a maid who will do her work without bothering me, Lillian thought.

"t-t-t-the," the maid couldn't finish what she wanted to say.

"Do you not know how to speak?" Lillian asked, irritated. The maid chose simply to nod.

"Are you deaf too?" Lillian asked, her anger beyond measure.

"The dance teacher is here, and the countess asked me to wake you up," the maid spoke so fast; Lillian just stared at her with no clear idea of the message. She was pretty sure she heard the maid say something about her mother.

"I am unsure how to process that," Lillian finally commented—getting out of bed. She turned her attention to the blazing sun through the eastbound window.

"Oh, please don't fire me. I have a little boy to take care of," the maid falls before Lillian, pleading with tears rolling down her red cheeks. Lillian looked at her for the first time. Not just look at her but see her too. The maid was average height, with a heart-shaped face and a deep set of green eyes. Her eyes almost make her look like she belonged in the family. Her body wasn't thin, but it was curved just like a lady's should. You could almost imagine her dressed in a beautiful gown, drinking tea, and dancing in ballrooms.