[02] - Chapter Two

Start from the beginning

Stefanie smiled at me as she slipped on her wrist and gave me one more hug. “Thank you so much, it’s lovely. Oh and I made you something too.” She walked towards one brown box and picked up a small present.

Once she gave it to me, I opened up the gift and noticed it was a beautiful necklace with a heart shaped locket. I opened it up and blushed as inside it said, “You’re beautiful.”

“Thank you!” I chimed happily as I put the necklace around my neck. “It’s lovely.”

“You’re welcome and you really need it.”

“Stef—

“Enough McKenzie, you’re beautiful okay.” I didn’t believe her, but I didn’t dare argue with her.

“You know sometime, you’ll have to come visit so we can see Frozen together again?” I told her changing the subject. “It’s our movie okay?”

“Yes, our movie. No one else’s, we’ll always watch it together I promise you that. And yes, I’d like that.” Stefanie replied to me.

“So is everything already packed?” I wondered.

“Yeah, there’s no furniture in here really.” Stefanie responded as we both walked together and into her kitchen. She pulled out two glasses and walked over to her fridge. “But anyway, how’s life?”

I cringed, the note on my fridge suddenly popped into my head and I bit my lip to hold back the tears. I wondered if they would even be home for Christmas. Well, it’s not like they care anyway. “Not going well, my parents are off to a business trip and they didn’t even say ‘love you’. All did they was post a crappy stick-it note on my fridge.”

“I’m sorry” She said apologetically as she poured us both apple cider. “I’m sure, they will come around.”

I shook my head. “I seriously doubt it.” Taking the glass, I sipped some of the delicious cider and placed it back on the table with a dreadful sigh while Stefanie continued to drink hers.

“I wish I could stay, I feel so bad.” Stefanie said with a sigh. “But you also need to learn how to stand up for yourself.”

“I guess.”

“I’m serious McKenzie. I want you to be—

“Confident.” I finished as I rolled my eyes. “I know, I know.”

“But you’re not.” She retorted.

Before I could answer, Stefanie’s mom approached the kitchen. Her blonde tresses were pulled back in a neat bun and she was carrying a tray of sugar cookies. Her mother looked at me and smiled. “Hi McKenzie, it’s nice to see you again.”

“It’s nice to see you too.”

“I made some cookies, would you guys like some?” Her mother asked kindly. “Christmas is around the corner and what better to celebrate with sugar cookies that smell almost like Christmas. Almost, real Christmas trees are definitely the scent of the festive holiday.”

“Sure thing” I replied as I took a couple of cookies. Even though it was still morning and I was beginning to wonder what she made cookies this early, I didn’t question her. Stefanie’s mom loved to bake and she didn’t care what time it was.

After Stef took some cookies, her mother turned to her and informed her. “Dad wants us to leave a bit early so unfortunately you’re going to have to say goodbye to see McKenzie.”

She nodded and then turned to me. She tossed me a hug and this time it was long. I didn’t care though because I was crying my eyes out over my parents, losing my friend, my insecurities, and just everything. How was ready to be on my own when I couldn’t even handle this?

*

School was a blur and since I didn’t do much in my classes due to finals coming up and Christmas break coming up, I felt relieved. I knew the basics of Physics, Pre—Calc, and Government. The finals weren’t really going to be that hard.

Once the bell rung that signaled the end of school, I walked out of classroom quickly and towards my lockers as I touched my new necklace. The texture of the necklace felt smooth underneath my fingers and I took staggered breaths before—

“Dammit, watch where you are going!” An angry masculine voice retorted. I looked at him and gasped. Since I bumped into him, he lost control of his water bottle and it was now stained on his Hollister shirt.

“I’m sorry!” I replied apologetically. “I just have a lot on my mind—

The boy angrily ran his fingers through his light brown tousled hair and rolled his eyes at me. “I don’t care; just watch where you are going.” And with that, the angry boy flashed his angry green eyes at me in annoyance and walked away. I huffed, what was his problem?! It was just an accident—

“Are you okay?” A familiar masculine voice suddenly asked from behind me. Oh crap, it couldn’t be. No, but it is. But—but—

I swirled around and smiled at Kale nervously. Putting a lock behind my ear, I replied. “I’m fine; he was just acting like an ass.”

“Ah well, Dean has a very short temper. So who are you?”

“I’m McKenzie.” I replied back to him with a brief smile. “Your name is Kale right?”

“The one and only,” Kale smirked sexily which send butterflies in my stomach, “Anyway, I got to head to practice. Nice meeting you McKenzie.”

And with that, he departed. I shrugged; at least my crush knows who I am now. That’s actually the only good thing that happened all day but I told myself that everything was going to be fine, even though I knew I was wrong.