Haiti In Our Hearts [3]

Chapter 3:

Nathan was beyond bewildered; his eyebrows were raised into a crooked curve whilst his lips parted to form a small rounded gasp. He rapidly recovered and swiftly took a couple of steps towards the huddle of blocks. His big masculine hands tensed as he couched down on his knees and grabbed as many bricks as he could. His heartbeat rose erratically and his face flushed as the blood pumped fiercely circulating his body. His hands began to ache agonizingly but that didn't make him stop. His mind overflowed with irregular thoughts as to who would be trapped here. Minutes ticked by, before Nathan stopped so that he could rest his hands. His face was now a deep shade of pink matching his roughly chafed hands. His knees were pressed upon the sharp sandstone, poking the skin on his knee whilst he hung his head in guiltiness.

A few long intake of breath and he raised his head again. His arms once more began to work like a machine, grasping anything in his hands could clutch. Every once in a while he took a short break before seizing the remaining bricks. Sweat dripped from his face, tracing down his forehead past the left side of his nose reaching his chin and then finally dripping onto the parched sand. The sweltering heat slowed him down yet it still didn't make him stop. He simply continued to dig away the bricks.

After what seemed like forever, a small part was freed from bricks. Nathan poked his head though the dark hole but failed to see anything. He stared into the hole intently, not sure what to do. His face looked calculating and he gave his Ipod a sidelong glance. He hurriedly clutched it and turned it on, the welcoming light dazzlingly shined and he rapidly positioned it towards the small hole. His idea worked, the light dimly shined, lighting up the dark hole but what he saw was sickening.

The excruciating angle of a person's leg made Nathan feel very faint. His head felt slightly woozy and he thought he would be sick. He quickly took in short rapid breaths and focused on the hole. A large slash was pierced into the person's skin leaving a long open wound with blood slowly oozing out. His eyes flickered to the puddle of blood beside the leg.

He let out a loud gasp

The person has lost a large amount of blood. He mentally slapped himself for wasting time. Time was crucial and there he was gaping at an injured person. He scurried off the huddle of brick he removed and pushed it to the side. He slowly slipped his hand in the hole making sure he didn't touch the person's leg.

"If you can hear me, hold my hand. Help is on its way!"

Nathan impatiently waited for a response. He heard some shuffling before a yelp of pain echoed in his ears. His body tensed at his helplessness.

A small warm hand slipped into his and he gently curled his fingers closing the gap.

"Is it Ok for you to move?" Nathan probes

"I can try." A soft croaking voice replied

Carefully, he pressed his wait on his arm and tenderly began to pull the person his way.

"Arrghh!" the same voice muttered

Nathan immediately apologised and quickly let his hand free. He was unsure of what to do next. Without thinking twice, he got up and ran.

He ran as fast as he could back to his tent. Once he reached there he could see his father talking to someone from a distance. He jogged to his father yelling Dad.

"Dad!" Nathan screamed

George gave his son a stern look for interrupting him but Nathan tried again.

"Dad, I need to tell you something important!" Nathan tried again

"Nathan, Can't you see I'm busy talking to someone. I have had it with you and your attitude. You may not want to be here but tough! I'm really disappointed at your selfish behaviour even though you can see that a whole country is suffering. Not everything revolves around you son!" George bellowed out

Nathan was beyond hurt. He just stared at his dad who returned back to his conversation. He looked around his surroundings and received cold looks from several people.

He hung his head and walked back to the location, completely uncertain of what to do.

Hope you like it

Vote, comment, become a fan XD