Where is Safety?

It was nearly nightfall when Charlie had driven up close to the city. Charlie had almost drifted to sleep more than once on the long drive. On the highway, approaching the city was a large encampment of soldiers. They seemed to have everything under control. The roadblock was presumably in place due to the new virus. It would be tough for a brigade of dead ones to bust through a trained squad of soldiers.

This may be a safe haven.

Charlie drove up slowly to the roadblock. A soldier standing by held up his hand as a message to stop. He walked over to them as Charlie rolled down the window. "Sir, if you had listened to the reports, you should have stayed home. It's dangerous out here," the soldier said.

"I know, but that wasn't possible with all the dead ones outside. They would have broken in at some point. It was only a matter of time. I can only hope the neighbors were blessed with enough luck to escape," Charlie replied.

"Well now that you're here, you'll have to stay with us for three days. In case you show symptoms of the virus infection. It's only precaution, and we'll probably let you go soon. The city is off limits, but we'll give you some supplies and such to get you started in the suburbs," the soldier explained.

Charlie parked the car into a designated spot. He shook Lydia awake and told her that they had arrived at a military blockade near the city. They would be safe here. Lydia nodded and got out of the car. Charlie got out and walked over to the soldier.

"What's your name?" Charlie asked bluntly.

"My name is John. Nothing special," He replied.

"What do you think will happen?" Charlie persisted.

"My guess is this will all blow over before too long. The opposition is weak bodied. Normal bullets tear right through them. Trouble is, they won't stay dead until you hit them in the head. Everything that once made them human is shut down. Whatever is infecting them, makes them decay rapidly. When we captured one, we found that all that held its weak frame together was the will of the virus. It was still a nasty ordeal to clean up. It should be easy to dispose of them," John explained.

Charlie nodded thanks, and left to go to Lydia. She was at the camp with another lady, eating and chatting like there wasn't a care in the world. It was a good way to live compared to being worried so often. It wears down the soul.

Charlie went over to the bench and sat next to Lydia, and grasped her hand. "So this is the guy that got you out? Nice to meet the legend," The woman began.

Charlie reached across the table with his free hand and shook her hand. "I'm no legend, lady, I'm just doing the best I can, as anyone else does," Charlie replied.

"Well, Lydia here sure tells it differently. You thought out that plan all by yourself, and executed it. All while making a daring escape to the car. And then a dead one grabbed Lydia! But you shot it and got into the car before she could get hurt. Then the car wouldn't start for a few tries. It was just like in the movies," the woman continued on.

Lydia blushed a little at each mention of her name, and Charlie grinned a little at the praise.

"Oh, where is my manners? I forgot to introduce myself. I'm Mrs. Summers," she said.

Before Lydia could stop him, Charlie bluntly asked, "Do you have a husband here with you?" Mrs. Summers looked very crestfallen at that.

"Truth is, I don't know where he is. He left for work, but that was days ago. It was very near the outbreak point," Mrs. Summers said dejectedly. "I got here before it got too bad looking for him."