Lake Bottom

Charlie peered out the window from between the blinds. The opening cast a small mount of light across his stern face.

"I think it's gone," he whispered. Lydia nodded with a worried look. She motioned him to come back to her.

Charlie shook his head and went for his gun. Above the mantle was his old rifle. He had kept it in working condition.

Although he had not hunted for a long time, he still had some ammunition laying around. For that, he was glad.

The news came in with a special report of a strange disease that seemed to had started in the prison cells. It made the infected aggressive to the point of killing one another. The dead were attempted to be carted away, but the attackers also bit the officers.

While the infected were shot, the officers were infected, but many didn't show signs until five hours have passed. Many infected attacked family and friends. A town just an hour or so away had tainted water of the same disease.

There was no cure yet, and the virus was apparently very volatile and would be excruciatingly difficult to find a preventive measure. The virus origins were unknown and the scientists were unable to gather any information about it. If they had a basis to observe, they may be able to start creating a cure. The only saving grace was that it was incommunicable by air. It had to be placed in the bloodstream by a bite or consumed.

So the plan was simple. Don't get infected.

He began to load the bullets in, one by one.

When he finished loading, he peered out the window. Although he didn't see anyone, or anything, he whispered, "We aren't safe here." Lydia nods in agreement, too afraid to speak.

They've seen some dead ones walking in the street. They saw what they were capable of and what happened when one approached them. One of the neighbors had left their home for whatever reason. The news said to stay home, but Charlie knew it wouldn't be safe. The neighbor apparently didn't pay attention to the news.

We watched helplessly as they approached the dead one. She may have asked if the dead one needed help. The dead one watched as the neighbor approached it. Then it attacked.

It ran after the elderly neighbor, who probably had bad sight and hearing. The dead one overcame the neighbor and ate. The kill brought more dead ones to the area.

They roamed the streets for a long while after. Their groans could be heard from the houses. The town held its breath as the intruders held the citizens captive. Charlie did not want to be kept captive. He had to make a plan.

There had to be a way to distract the dead and be able to still walk away alive. Charlie couldn't kill them all. Charlie couldn't save everyone. Charlie could only try to protect those closest to him. It hurt him to see his town vulnerable. Charlie would be strong for his town. Now, what would distract the zombies? Charlie thought for a long while, looking through the window. He began to formulate a plan.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I rode my bike fast through the night. I couldn't get the girl's death out of my mind. I don't know if she was something else. I may have just killed someone. I finally calm my mind.

I spotted a lake that offshoots the road. It was serene and calming. I slow down and stop by a tree. I rest my new ragtag bike against it and start to stumble toward the lake.

I trip over a hidden root, but continue blindly forward. I finally reach the edge of the water and look for answers. I kneeled before the edge and looked deep into the lake as the last wisps of the moonlight shine and dance across the water. Below the surface, it was dark and murky.