Fields of Anguish

I awoke with a groan. I gave a little cough and rolled from my side to my back, in an effort to get a little comfortable.

It didn't work since my body was bruised all over.

I finally began to open my eyes slowly. It was excruciatingly painful, my eyes registering a bright day. I must've slept into the afternoon.

My clothes were only slightly damp after being in the warm car for what must have been all night and the morning. I closed my eyes once more.

The memories of past events rushed back into my mind. I held my head, it was going to give me a headache if I didn't calm myself.

I took my hand away and opened my eyes wide to see a waving hand in front of my face.

"Hellooo? Mister, are you gonna wake up or not? You're confusing me!" A little girl's voice said perkily. "I was gonna say good morning, but now its in the afternoon. You sleep late!"

The hand was moved and I saw a young girls face above mine. I gave a little grunt and began to get myself up. Her little hands pushed my chest down before I could get up.

"Nope, Mister you gotta rest. We bandaged you up, but you took a beating. You need to stay right here." said the little girl.

I looked around the surroundings. It looked like I was in the car that had hit me. It had nice, inviting cushions and looked to be a newer car.

It seemed to be a fast model. From what I could see, we were in a field. "My sister is gonna be back soon with some food and stuff. You must be famished! My name is Amelia, by the way."

I grunted, but didn't pronounce my name. I didn't know why I wouldn't speak. I felt out of place. I laid back with a solemn fortitude.

"Huh, Mister, are you gonna talk? I didn't respond. I pondered getting up and leaving. It would be a simple matter of brushing her off and not look back.

But where was my bike?

As if reading my mind, Amelia answered, "Oh yeah, Mister, sorry about your bike. When my sister killed the dead guys that were going to try to eat you, we kinda smashed your bike. It wasn't looking good anyway. We were glad we didn't actually hit you, just dead guys and the back of your bike."

I gently pushed her off me while she said softly, "Mister, you're hurt though."I put her on the seat and opened the car door.

It was actually quite a beautiful meadow. "Well, if you're looking for your bike, its behind the car," Amelia said. I walked over and knelt by the wreck.

I didn't plan on keeping it long, but this was ridiculous. The back wheel was bent beyond repair, almost making a right angle with the rest of the bike. The car was astonishingly close to hitting me. I was lucky to be alive, from that hit.

Still, I was in pain.

The fall was fast and I went far before blacking out. I was bound to have injuries all over. The worst was the one running down my side.

I opened it up by moving and had begun to bleed.

The girl was right, I shouldn't have gotten up. I must've fell on a sharp rock. I got up and headed back to the car. Amelia moved over for me to lay back down.

"Mister, you opened your wound. Now do you believe me? You should have listened," Amelia started scolding. I made a small smile.

"Now you gotta wait for my sister to help you," Amelia added. I looked up at the ceiling of the car and was mildly surprised to see photos covering the entire thing. There were many of a pretty girl and just as many of Amelia.