09- Memories

Riley's POV

"What is your favorite movie?" Jace asks leaning in closer. With every question he asks me our faces get closer.

We have been playing twenty questions to get to know each other better. So far he has told me everything I ever wanted to know, except one thing. The most important thing... the council.

"Silver Linings Playbook" I whisper moving in closer. His brown eyes make my heart skip a beat. His breath comes out in short pants as our faces become an inch apart. I have known him for a week but it feels like a year. Maybe having a mate won't be as terrible as I imagined.

Jace opens his mouth to ask another question. I put my finger on his lips, silencing him. Learning everything from his favorite color to mom's name is great, but I need to know about the council. They have been haunting my thoughts ever since I heard the word.

"Tell me" I whisper, still an inch away from his face. Wow am I glad I brushed my teeth and had gum before he came. 

Jace's face falls quickly as the words escape from my mouth. His eyes lose the spark they held for our entire conversation. To my wolf's high displeasure he gets up and starts to pace.

"Are they really that bad?" My voice comes out in a weak tremble. I can't imagine people so bad that even the almighty Jace doesn't want to talk about them. Jace's pacing stops and he cones to sit back on the bed.

I hate to admit it but just out closeness and his wonderful scent is driving my wolf insane. I move a little closer trying to make him tell me.

"Whatever I say, you still couldn't possibly understand" He sighs turning so we are face to face. He doesn't get that I want to try my best to understand. He can't just tell me about these awful people and not elaborate. 

I open my mouth to plead my point but he puts his finger on my lips. He smirks a little as I close my mouth. He definitely enjoys being in control.

"But I can show you" He sighs again, all humor leaving his face. I raise my eyebrow in confusion. How is he going to show me how evil the council is? What did he bring a PowerPoint presentation?

"Alpha mate powers" He murmurs, coming even closer. Jacob told me about them, mostly about the private mind link. He also mentioned that alpha mates can transfer emotions or memories through the link. He also said it is extremely hard and tiring. That's probably what Jace is talking about now.

"Relax" He whispers leaning in much closer. I try and slow my breathing, which is incredibly hard with him staring at me like that. Our faces come even closer until our foreheads touch.

Out of nowhere my eyes snap shut, images, memories that are not my own flash before my eyes. Finally everything settles onto one memory. 

(Memory in italics)

A little boy runs down the hallway. His little feet pat against the wooden floor as he makes his way to a staircase. He's excited, he has never been in this house before. Quietly he descends the stairs, his father said never to come down here. But of course child curiosity doesn't follow the rules. He climbs down the stairs hearing strange voices the closer he gets to the bottom. 

My mind feels invaded at the memories that aren't mine. Through it all I can hear Jace's ragged breath picking up. The little boy is of course Jace, and the memories are of course his. 

"Quiet or we will have her fed to the rouges" A voice reaches the boys ears. It is a familiar voice but he cannot remember who it belongs to. He reaches the bottom of the stairs, following the sound of the voice. He follows it all the way to a silver door. Of course he reaches to open the handle, excitement courses through his entire body. The door flies open to reveal a horrible scene.

The vision starts to flicker like we are losing connection. Instead memories like pictures flash through my mind. 

Blood everywhere, men with hooded robes, wolves scared and beaten. Awful, horrible things.

For each flash of picture I can feel the emotions that Jace must have felt at the time. Without knowing how, I know that he was still that little boy when seeing these horrible things. 

The vision stops and my eyes shoot open. We are in the same position as before, with our foreheads touching. Except I am crying and Jace is breathing heavily with his eyes clamped shut. I don't remember starting to cry but the tears are nevertheless flooding down my cheeks. Jace is worse though. He is shaking with his eyes still clamped shut.

"Jace?" My voice cracks. He doesn't move for a while, just sits there and shakes. My wolf moans a little seeing our mate in pain, and nit being able to do anything about it. I can't even imagine what he's going through. Or what he went through when seeing those terrible things at such a young age.

Jace finally opens his eyes to stare helplessly at me. His eyes no longer show arrogance, or humor or anything I have seen before. He looks almost broken. My wolf cries out in pain for her mate. Mad that I am not doing anything to help him.

"I am not letting them get anywhere near you" His voice comes out cracked and full of hate. Never have I ever seen such an example of hatred and pain on anyone's face before.

I just crumble, seeing him like this is literally hurting me. I move closer, sitting on his lap and burying my face in the crook of his neck. Sparks fly between us like millions of tiny fireworks. His breathing slows and he raps his muscular arms around me. I have never felt this protected, warm, and safe before. 

I know that I can trust Jace without even knowing how I know. Everything that I worried about with mates vanishes as I sit in the warmth of his arms. 

I don't know how long we stayed like this before we fell asleep. All I know is that I never want to move ever again.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow this chapter... It literally brung me down just writing it. Thank you guys for being so patient during my break. After continuous messages telling me not to hand over the story to someone else, I decided not to. BUT I would like to thank all of you who said you could take over. Sorry it was so short!