Chapter 20 - Possibilities

Start from the beginning

 “It’s funny how you said everything would be fine when I got raped but it’s getting sort of hard to believe that anymore.” She held no emotion but just stared behind me. I hated to hear that word so much that I flinched.

 “Don’t say that! We’ll make it through anything even if it almost kills me. Trust me, sweetie, please. Don’t lose hope.” I unwillingly let a tear fall from my eyes.

 It seemed my words had registered inside of Evelyn’s mind because she seemed human again. Her eyes weren’t happy but they held something in them. She didn’t look hopeless anymore and her body had made the slightest movement indicating she was here, not just her body. 

 “How?” She whispered and a sharp inflict of pain tugged at me.

 “We’re going to stick with each other through everything. You’re not alone, Evelyn. You have people that love you. Do you see the way that boy looks at you? Do you not feel how much I love you? All you have to do is keep moving. Just move along with life and make the best out of it. I’ll be with you all along.”

 Evelyn’s lips pulled up into a small smile and a tear rolled down her cheek. I wiped it away and she hugged me. 

 “I love you.” I whispered into my daughter’s ear.

 “I love you too, Mom.” 

 And we hugged each other until we had the strength to pull away.

 “You know what we have to do, right?” I whispered.

 “Mhm.” She didn’t talk but hummed a mere reply.

 “Then let’s get it out of the way.” I held out my hand and offered her a small smile. She nodded and took my hand while I got her up on her feet.

***

My daughter and I were sitting in the silent car as I drove to the hospital. There was no use in making an appointment. I was an obstetrician and knew people of the field. It just so happened my close friend, Hillary, was an ultrasound technician and I had called her in for a head’s up and detailed her in.

 She agreed in a heart beat.

 I was glad that I could provide Evelyn these commodities that not many others had. People could say it wasn’t fair but in a world like this you have to stick out for yourself and your loved ones. I didn’t regret getting her all the help I was capable of giving.

 I pulled into my parking space and looked over at my daughter. Her hand was in her lap but I took it and gave it a tight reassuring squeeze. 

 Once we were out of the car, we walked into the familiar building and I was surrounded by my second home.

This place was inscribed into my brain. The white walls and furniture, the chilly atmosphere, the hustling and hurried nurses and doctors. I loved my job because I delivered life into the world everyday. I’d get the satisfaction of seeing the love radiate from parents as they held their newborn child.

Would my little baby deliver a newborn child? How could she when I thought she was still my little girl? The same delicate princess I had given birth to sixteen years ago and nursed ever since? The thought was unsettling.

 There was still the hope that the test was wrong. There was always the chance it had screwed up and I knew that more that most people did. My job provided experience and Hillary’s story assured me even more that those tests weren’t a hundred percent accurate. So did the box.

***

~Evelyn~

I was sitting down by my mom on a plastic green chair. She knew the ultrasound technician and the wait would be no more than fifteen minutes. Fifteen minutes that felt like a life time! I wanted to get this over with and just go home.