Chapter 21

Nearly an entire week had passed before Draco and Hermione spoke again. There was tension and awkwardness between the two since their heartfelt interaction, and they had both been unknowingly avoiding one another.

Early Monday morning, Hermione was seated alone at the Gryffindor Table, enjoying the blissful peace of silence. She was buttering a croissant when the post arrived, and a thick yellow envelope landed on the table in front of her, dropped off by a familiar owl — Pukiewidgeon. A grin consumed Hermione's face as she tore open the envelope and dumped out its contents — two sheets of parchment, individually folded. Picking up the first one, she eagerly read,

'Hey, Hermione.
Hope all is well at Hogwarts, sorry I haven't written. Been very busy. Miss and love you.
Ron.'

A frown pushed it's way across Hermione's face as she reread the letter in disappointment. She set it down beside the envelope and picked up the other paper, hoping Harry's letter would be more engaging.

'Dear Hermione,
I miss you so much, it's unbearable. How's Hogwarts treating you this year? Ginny told me Malfoy was Head Boy — I hope he isn't causing you too much trouble. Also, how's Hagrid? I've been meaning to write him, but I just haven't found the time. I'll try to get an owl to him by the end of the week. Fingers crossed. Blimey, Hermione, being an Auror is a lot of work. It's nothing I can't handle — I really feel like I'm in my element while working, and all my fellow coworkers are incredible to work with. I really hope that once you finish Hogwarts you'll consider joining Ron and I. Enough about me, tell me all about your first few weeks back. I hope everything is going well. Write back as soon as you can, I can't wait to read all about everything I'm missing out on.
I miss you and Ginny most, of course. (And Quidditch)
I love you,
Harry Potter
(My autograph will be worth millions one of these days, you're welcome)'

By the time Hermione finished reading the letter from Harry, there were tears streaming down her cheeks. She laughed at the bit about autographs, and hugged the letter to her chest briefly, forever thankful to have Harry.

Hermione stood from the table, her uneaten breakfast forgotten, and gathered her belongings, dashing off to the library before her first class of the day to respond to her letters.

On her way out of the Great Hall, Hermione bumped into Draco, nearly stumbling off her feet. She caught herself at the last second, gripping onto the wall, and straightened herself out, her letter from Harry falling to the floor.

Draco bent down, picking it up to avoid making eye contact with her as he glanced down at the vaguely familiar handwriting. He saw his name and his eyes scanned over the sentence quickly. He frowned, handing the letter back to her.

"Aren't you lucky, you've got Potter and Weasley to protect you from my wrath," he said bitterly, stuffing his hands in his pockets hastily.

"It's rude to read other people's mail," Hermione stated matter-of-factly, eyebrows arched at his tone. "And he didn't mean it like that. He knows we've never gotten on well. Neither have the two of you, that's no secret. He's just being protective."

"Whatever," Draco murmured, walking away. "Tell them I say hello, and that I'm coming for them," he added sarcastically with an eye roll.

"Okay," Hermione agreed casually, grinning. "Will do." He glared at her from the opposite end of the corridor, and just as he was about to disappear around the corner, she shouted, "Wait, Malfoy! I need my wand back — I'm being serious. I have Charms next class!"

With his signature smirk on his face, Draco turned slowly, and began to approach her, walking with an air of arrogance. "I'm afraid that won't be possible," he told her with a shrug. "You failed to hear my bet out."