Chapter 11

"He said he would?" Ginny asked angrily, her blue eyes darting over to the Slytherin table, where Draco was eating with Blaise and Theo.

Hermione sighed, brushing it off. "Yes, he did. But that's not the point. The point is that there is still discrimination toward muggle borns. We need to do something about this," Hermione expressed passionately, stabbing her fork at her chicken.

The Sorting had just ended, and Gryffindor had gained a fair share of new members, all of which were stuffing their faces and laughing. Hermione was sitting with Ginny, Neville, Dean, Seamus, Fay Dunbar, and Parvati Patil. Dean and Seamus were bickering about which sport was better — Quidditch or soccer — and Parvati, Ginny, Fay, and Hermione were talking amongst themselves.

"I agree with Hermione," Parvati stated, surprising both Ginny and Hermione as she set her spoon down on the table. "What happened to, what'd you say her name was—?"

"Daisy."

"—Right, Daisy, shouldn't have happened, and it most certainly should not happen to anyone else," Parvati finished, flipping her thick braid of long, dark hair over her shoulder so that it hung down her back. Seamus glanced over in her direction, smiling sheepishly as he leaned over toward his friends, whispering something. Parvati, oblivious to this, continued to eat.

Fay nodded her head slowly, signifying that she thought what Parvati had said was true.

"Well, yeah. I agree as well. Hermione, did you have something in mind?" Ginny asked, knowing that she probably would.

Hermione smiled at Ginny, nudging her with her elbow. "You know me, of course I have a plan. I just need a bit of time..."

Fay chuckled. "I'm sure you'll figure out something perfect," she said kindly. Hermione smiled at her quiet dormmate of six years, wondering why the girls rarely spoke previous years. She assumed it was due to her close bond with Harry and Ron, and sighed at the missed opportunity at a great friendship.

"Well, good luck," Parvati offered, turning to face Seamus. He was staring at her, and a confident smile slid onto her face as she scooted closer to where he was seated, pushing Dean out of the way so that they were sitting across from each other.

"Why hello, Parvati," Seamus said nervously, his cheeks tinted pink as he ran a hand through his sandy hair.

Parvati leaned forward, showing off her cleavage, as Hermione gawked from beside Seamus. "Parvati—" she began, only to be cut off by Ginny, who stomped on her foot beneath the table.

"Hermione, what do you say we leave early? We can head up to the common room until you need to leave," Ginny suggested, giving Hermione a 'don't-intervene-let-her-do-her-thing' look as she stood up.

Hermione frowned, eyes flickering back to Parvati (who now had not only Seamus's attention, but also Dean and Neville's) for a final time before she stood up as well. As she and Ginny walked out of the Great Hall, Ginny peered over her shoulder, then burst into laughter. Hermione looked ashamed of Parvati.

"This is why the two of you never got on well," Ginny commented, leading the way down the corridor as Hermione followed closely behind, rolling her eyes at the back of Ginny's head.

"Showing off her body like that, it's horrible. And for a guy — for Seamus! Of all people..." Hermione muttered, shaking her head with disapproval.

"What's wrong with Seamus?" Ginny asked with a snort. "He's a great bloke."

"Oh, yeah," Hermione mumbled offhandedly, clicking her tongue as they passed rows and rows of portraits, all preoccupied with themselves.