Chapter 10

Night had fallen, and the stars twinkled ominously against the dark night sky as the train slowed to a stop, pulling into the Hogsmeade Station.

Draco stuffed his wand into the pocket of his robes, straightening the green and silver tie that wound around his neck. He glanced over at Hermione darkly, anger prickling up his back as her words rung through his ears. 'You're a coward.' With one final look of distaste in her direction, he left the compartment, his cloak billowing behind him as he allowed the door to slam shut behind him. He joined the sea of students crowding the corridor, pushing his way through the excited kids.

Hermione frowned, quickly sweeping her mop of curls up into a bun as she placed the book she'd been reading back on its shelf. Fixing her Head Girl badge proudly, Hermione exhaled deeply, smoothing over any creases on her robes and flattening out her wrinkled cloak. She proceeded to the corridors, nearly being thrown to the floor by two fifth years who barreled past her, laughing wildly. She groaned, steadying herself against the wall as she stood as tall as she could, puffing out her chest and holding her chin up.

"Walk, please," she demanded, her voice carrying over the crowd of students. A few kids looked over in her direction and merely slowed to jogs, perhaps out of pity for Hermione, who was looking annoyed.

"Slow down, please! The carriages won't leave without you, I promise!" she yelled, gaining the attention of many students surrounding her. She gave them hard glares, quirking up an eyebrow. "You heard me. Walk!"

"Uh, Hermione?"

"What!" she snapped, spinning around on her heel. Ginny was standing a few feet back, an amused smirk playing at her lips. A third year bumped into her, and she elbowed him in the stomach, shooting daggers. He quickly scrambled away, muttering an apology.

"You need to be more forceful. Speak loudly but do not yell. Don't let them think you're scared, they need to know that you're in charge," Ginny advised, patting Hermione on the shoulder.

"Thanks, Gin," Hermione said weakly, talking a deep breath.

A group of second years came running towards her, and Hermione stood firmly in their path, eyes narrowed with determination. "Please slow down. Right this way, one at a time," she commanded, leaving just enough room in the corridor for one student to pass at a time. The second years hastily obliged, slowing their pace to a walk as they filed down the hall. Hermione's smile grew, and Ginny flashed her an encouraging thumbs up.

"I'll wait for you outside, can we ride a carriage together?" Ginny asked her, already starting to walk toward the exit.

"I'm not sure, I may have to ride with Malfoy," Hermione replied, directing a clan of Hufflepuffs to the door with a smile. She turned to Ginny, who had stopped in her tracks, a confused look on her face.

"Why would you have to ride with Malfoy?"

Hermione smiled ruefully, shaking her head. "You'll never believe it — he's Head Boy. You should have seen how smug McGonagall looked."

Ginny now looked repulsed, and she faked a gagging motion. "Bloody hell, that's rotten luck. I hope you don't have to ride with him."

"You and me both," Hermione said with a sigh, as the last student — a fourth year in Ravenclaw — made her way to the exit. Ginny and Hermione were left alone on the train, and Hermione gestured for her to go on.

"I need to check all the compartments to make sure everyone is off the train. I'll just catch the final carriage with McGonagall — you go ahead," Hermione explained, already heading towards the first compartment. Ginny nodded slowly, waving as she walked off the train.