Chapter 2

The capital city of Esterfay was blossoming with giddiness and joy. Children pranced across the cobblestone paths. There was singing and dancing, excitement spread from person to person. From lightfolk to creature, the joy brightened the day. Tatiana smiled as her leather boots clicked against the cobblestone. She turned her head at the sound of a loud splash, to see a young elvish girl laughing as a young powder blue unicorn splashed her with water. The unicorn swam inside a massive stone fountain, that had sat in the city's center for centuries. It depicted large fish, the size of a grown lightman, spewing water from its pursed lips. Tatiana laughed, becoming aware of the heat from the sun.

"You'd like to go for a swim in the fountain?" Ephriam stared at her, his eyes exempt from all emotion. Tatiana pouted at this.

"Can't you lighten up for one day?" She asked, allowing herself a grin, "It's Tranquility Day!"

"I can see that. Right there, and there. Lo and behold! Over there too!" He pointed from banner to banner, which read "Happy Tranquility Day!" And "Celebrating a Unifying Division!"

Tatiana scratched her head. Ephriam had been acting strange these past few months. Truth be told, he was always cold and distant, but lately this attitude had become more obvious. Even stranger so, a silver key had appeared at the base of his neck. He wore it on a thin string. It was quite ornate, and contrasted his plain personality. Of course, she'd never ask him about his mood or strange key. He'd probably remain silent, or worse, yell at her. You could never quite tell with Ephriam. Every time she glanced at the key, he'd look away.

Auburn nuzzled against her neck, perched on her shoulder, "So much to do! Where do we begin?" Her tone was upbeat, lifting Tatiana's spirits.

Tatiana absorbed the life around her. Children passed a soft stone, laughing as they caught it. It was large and blue, you could tell it was safe for playing by its pink speckles. She could smell the delicious pastries cooking as chefs prepared delicacies to sell to the Festive people of Esterfay.

A gathering caught Tatiana's attention. In the center, stood a woman. She wore a long silk gown, cloths dripped down from her sleeves with intricate golden designs etched into them. Her hair was long, a pure white waterfall that shone in the sun. Before Tatiana's friends could protest, Tatiana rushed them over to the crowd. After pushing past a few festival goers, they managed to find seats on logs near the front row. Upon taking a closer look, Tatiana saw four yellow gems sown to her sleeves. She was some kind of entertainer, and a decent one too. If she wore five gems, that meant she was the best of the best. She stood atop a stage with many musicians behind her. Was she a singer?

Tatiana waited, eyes glued to the stage.

The woman began to spin a wonderful tale, as peaceful music accompanied her.

"Hundreds of years ago, when there was no separation between the Overworld and the Underworld," She began.

"The Story of Separation. How predictable," Ephraim snorted, whispering to his friends.

"Quiet!" Auburn whisper yelled.

The Storyteller went on,"the evil creatures swept over our land, bringing darkness with them," The music began to quicken, "the creatures of the Underworld were dark of heart and broken of mind. All they felt was a hunger for chaos. Worst of all was their creator, King Edward, our High King Gerald's first creation. King Gerald named Edward his brother, and allowed him to create a world of his own. But he created a dead, sickening world. His creations sought to overtake the Overworld. What were these creatures? Surely many of you have seen the ancient artworks. Dragons, and the enormous lizards the size of mountains! Tails with eyes that slink across the ground, but have sharp teeth that could kill with just one bite. But worst of all," the woman took a breath, the music reaching its peak, "the creatures with the form of a lightfolk, but with horns the length of your hand, sticking out their heads. Their eyes like those of cats, but slitted and red as roses. They would kill innocent children with their bare hands, sharper than a hundred knives. And ohhh their wi-"