Chapter 1

Father's office. It was a place Tatiana seldom had gone. It had been pronounced "off limits" since she was young. Looking back, Tatiana realized she'd only been in there one other time, when her father made a breakthrough with the Gingbrust berries. He'd found a new, innovative way to plant them and had excitedly showed her in his office. She didn't much understand at the time, she was only eight. She wasn't eight now. She was eighteen. She knocked at his door, taking a deep breath in. This must be something big. It had to be.

The large oak door opened, and Tatiana's fathers face shone. He had dark skin, and sleek black hair. Just like his daughter. His years being the leader over the family's plantation showed in his eyes. A quiet calm, and lingering intellect. His smile said he was pleased to see her, but his eyes said he didn't sleep a wink the night before. How odd. Worry seized her heart. Something must really be wrong. The servant hadn't seemed frantic when he came to get her, but even when he told her to go to father's office, his eyes seemed distant and tone unsure.

"Please," he made a welcoming gesture, "come in."

Tatiana entered, looking around. The red, wooden desk was rife with open books and parchment. A tipped inkwell stained the pure white parchment. Leather-bound books lined the towering shelves. Chocked full of information about plants and farming, Tatiana supposed. The Overworld map was pinned on the wall. The room was full of knowledge and wonder, and Tatiana was facing fed by it. She noticed a window by his desk, overlooking the plantation. It was a perfect view, and she spotted many working the fields.

Her father took his place at the desk, a small smile on his face. He wore the same thing he had yesterday, a long sleeved green overcoat and pale brown tunic. Five emeralds were sown onto the sleeve. Symbols. He gestured toward the sitting chair in front of his desk she hadn't even noticed. She sat.

"Tatiana," he began, drawing a breath, "there is something very important I have for you."

A gift? That didn't sound like such a disaster. Tatiana felt relieved, "What is it?"

Silently, her father handed her a scroll. On it was a seal, with an intricate griffon on the it. An interesting signet, that seemed familiar. Where had she seen it before. Breaking the seal, Tatiana unraveled the scroll. In large, fanciful cursive at the top it read, "The College of Arcane Arts". The scroll almost fell from her now shaking hands. This could not be.

"Father I-"

He held up a hand, "Continue reading."

"Tatiana Nedador,

Your application for a spot at our esteemed College has been accepted. In ten days time, you will be joining us here at the college and begin your studies of the magics. With time and practice, you will learn to tap into the magic all around you. Worry not about choosing your specialization for now, here you shall be educated on the six magics. From there, you may decide upon which magic to invest your time in.

We will see you soon,
Archmage Seamore"

Tatiana read it over, again and again. She had never written an application to join the university! She looked up at her father, heart pounding, "What application?"

He gave her a small smile, "I wrote one for you. I wanted to see if you would be accepted. And you were."

"F-father," she wanted to protest. But how could she spit in his eye? This was a great honor. Many of lower class could never dream of an opportunity like this. This was a grand destiny. She looked at her father, and found pride and sadness mixed in his eyes, "this is a great honor." She managed.

"Of course, it is your choice." He nodded. "Tapping into magic is not an easy thing. It takes years of devoted study and patience."

"Did you send in an application for Derick?" She blurted, before she realized that was incredibly rude. She'd just been blessed with such a great gift, what was she doing? He frowned slightly.

"No. Your brother is going to stay and watch Nedador Plantations at my side; but you are the youngest. Your destiny is an open road before you."

Is it? Tatiana was unsure. Wasn't this just as open to her as Derick's destiny? "Thank you for this, but..." She paused, taking a shaking deep breath, and pressing her hands to her sides, "I need some time to think about it."

"You have today dear." He smiled warmly, the lines on his face crinkling around his smile.

"Thank you." She turned to leave the office.

"Wait," her father said.

"Yes?" Tatiana turned to look at him.

"Your mother and I will miss you terribly if you decide to leave. Derick too."

Tatiana paused. Yes. The cold and distant woman she called mother would miss her. It was hard to believe, but she smiled at her loving hard working father anyways and nodded. With that, she left the room, clutching the key to her perfect destiny. She walked down the product of her father's perfect destiny. Their home. In a house that was as large as a small settlement, she, her brother, father, mother, many servants, and workers of the fields lived. It was all she'd ever known. She recalled being a child, and the children of workers thought they were too lowly to play with her. It had hurt her deeply, and left her to her own company. She passed a serving girl her age, carrying a silver tray with a wine glass on it. The purple wine was vibrant, swishing this way and that with each step. The girl was careful not to spill it, and avoided eye contact with Tatiana. Her white maids outfit was plain to say the least, her sleeves having one white gemstone.

Tatiana passed the plain girl, her night gown swishing this way and that at the bottom to mirror the fanciful wine. Her dress was of the highest quality, with silver frills at the sleeves and green gemstone buttons in the front. Her bare feet touched the cool marble floor, chilling them. She came to her bedroom doors, and pushed them open. She walked over to her vanity, sitting down on the stool in front of it letting out a sigh. What was she going to do? She couldn't let them know this was something she didn't want. Deep down, she wanted to be the guide of her destiny. She picked up her golden encrusted hair brush with an emerald in the center, and ran it through her smooth ebony black hair. She gazed at her reflection, feeling uneasy. She couldn't imagine being in those robes, in constant study. Trapped in those stone walls; but what would her family think if she turned this down? They would think her ungrateful. She was grateful to be in this family. Could this be the best way to show it?

Shedding her nightgown, she pulled out her everyday gown. It was a light blue color, with frills at the collar. The bodice was white,with golden strings binding it. It was her favorite, for it's silk was smoother than anything she'd ever felt. In all her days, at festivals and countless dress shops. She smiled, remembering. The silk wasn't the reason. When she went to a festival with her mother and found this dress, that day, she had made her mother laugh.

There was a sudden knock at her window, interrupting her thoughts.

She turned quickly, realizing her window was open. There sat a golden Hawx, a beautiful creature with the face of a fox and body of a bird. Her friend Auburn. Auburn had an average wingspan of about fifteen feet, and golden orange feathers. She had a tail so soft, it put the dress silk to absolute shame. Her eyes were a beautiful blue that resembled the sky she flew in daily.

"Hey you little creep! What are you doing up her watching me like a hawk?"

"I'm a Hawx! It's what I do!" Auburn joked as Tatiana approached.

"Shoo bird!" Tatiana laughed, waving her arm back and forth in front of her friend. Auburn jumped up onto her arm, wrapping her golden claws around Tatiana's arm. The gesture wasn't painful, in fact it felt like she was merely wearing a bracelet.

"I'm not going anywhere!"

"What drove you to come here and watch me get dressed?"

"Ephriam suggested coming here."

A blush crossed Tatiana's face, but she swallowed her embarrassment, "What a creep," she joked, "He's here too?"

"Oh yes! Probably listening and doing that embarrassed cough of his as we speak!"

Upon hearing a low cough nearby, the girls burst into a fit of laughter.