Chapter 52

Nothing.

Not a single thing out of the ordinary. It's was only minutes before 4 and I had searched everywhere. The factory as simple. Opened into one main room, another small area full of shelves and old supplies, and a few separate rooms that were most likely offices. I didn't have enough time to do any hardcore digging so I'd have to come back.

Shivering, I traced the cut on my palm. It stopped bleeding and I had been keeping my fist clenched since I had sliced it on a broken beer can.

Everything was silent.

I could feel the cold seeping into my bones and which made my fingers stiff. I tried to rub them together for heat but it made my deadly wound burn. After standing there a few minutes, the feeling of exhaustion started to really sink in. Honestly I don't think I had been well rested in the past year.

Almost a  whole year. It managed to feel like nothing and forever all at the same time. On one hand I had been doing this for around a year. It had been such a short amount of time to think that I had lost everything a year ago. But it felt like years because of everything that had happened since then.

My stomach growled signaling I should probably head back and call it a day. Instead of leaving, I stayed firmly in my place. Thoughts raced through my mind.

Happy ones.

"No don't!" Sylvia screamed as my nine year old self began climbing up a tree.

"It's fine." I called back before giving my head an annoyed shake which caused my long braids to brush against my back. Every time I went to grab a branch I gave it a slight tug to check how secure it was.

"It's not that big a deal!" Shouted a tall nine year old boy with a mess for hair and a missing front tooth.

"Lucas this is all your fault." Sylvia's words travelled up to me and I could imagine her stamping her foot with her arms placed directly on her hips.

"My fault?" He scoffed while his mouth hung open, showing his missing tooth perfectly.

"Yes. Your fault," she accused. "If you didn't crash the kite into the tree she wouldn't be going up there.

I listened to their arguing, not realizing how much I would miss this in the future. My two best friends. They might've been siblings for how "well" they got along. Their constant disagreements and glares covered up their love for each other.

If only I could go back.

I didn't make it up very far when I grabbed a flimsy branch. My body fell forward and I grabbed at anything I could. One moment I was fine, the next I was falling and hitting branches, and finally I was lying on the ground.

I could hear them scream my name and rush over to me. Before they reached me, I managed to sit up and blink away the black spots that danced in front of my vision.

"Im all good." I smiled.

"Oh my god you're bleeding!" Sylvia screeched while telling Lucas to call 911.

My dad drove me to the doctor. I sprained my wrist, got a concussion, and got three stitches on my left cheek. Without think, I lightly touched the small scar from where the tree branch managed to scratch me.

"You're lucky it didn't hit your eye. You'd probably be blind." Said the doctor. He was tall and skinny. He wasn't very old, maybe early 40's, but had very short white hair and a smile he took care of. My dad shot him a look that said "shut up, she's nine" and the doctor moved on to wrapping my wrist with white bandages.

The corners of my mouth turned up slightly and I went to spin on my heel when I noticed a movement. Someone, maybe something, walked past the small rectangular window on the door leading to the shelved room. Crouching, my feet were quiet while I got closer. With one shoulder against the wall and the other against the door, I listened. Obviously I got out my knife. Duh.

The metal pressed into my cut which made it sting but I stayed quiet and unmoving.

Silence.

Complete and utter silence.

I placed my broken armed hand on the handle and waited for another moment before slamming it open. Nothing. The shelves were exactly as they were before and there was no ghost standing in front of me.

"Well well well," someone said from my right, "found you."

The shelves broke as my body smashed into them.

•••••••••••

IM SO SORRY FOR NOT UPDATING BUT IVE BEEN HELLA BUSY

Please dm me on my oh @naygiza because I would love to talk to you and I'm more active there

Please do because I'll be posting an announcement very soon :)

Thanks and sorry

Renee