Chapter Twelve: A Warrior's Agreement

Start from the beginning

But even he couldn't have guessed such a disaster would occur on the first day.

She walked around the room surveying the scene in its ridiculous entirety, until finally giving him an almost shocked sort of look, "Surely you did not forget the bargain you struck with Adam this whole time?"

"I've been busy," he said through clenched teeth. "Or did you forget?"

"Ah," she said, nodding gravely. "Your curse. Did you ever think perhaps you are not the only creature living under such a curse?"

Des narrowed his eyes. No way was she going to turn this around on him.

"We're not even in the same league. Don't dare compare us," he warned.

"Why ever not? Was your deal not a curse of a kind?"

"It wasn't and you damn well know that," he snapped. "We had a mutual arrangement. And as I recall, the only reason I had to make that deal was because you were unwilling to help," he added icily.

She raised one delicate eyebrow. "Unwilling? We offered the humans sanctuary inside the White Sea when every immortal sought to destroy their entire race."

"And when I needed to save the last pitiful few that were left, to get that last village to safety, what did you tell me?" he asked, pointing one accusing finger at her.

"I offered them a home," she said evenly.

The only thing worse than a Fae's condescension was their cool logic. Des didn't have the time or the patience for either one today, "Aye, a home without a single soldier to help transport them to safety! Tell me mighty Amelia, how was I supposed to get the humans to your island without some bloody fighters?"

"You found your fighters," she said and glanced over his shoulder at the vampire king.

"You're damn right I did," he said turning back to look at Lord Adam. The deal he struck was a hard one. Perhaps it was that very fact that had caused him to forget all about it. Now here he was with a giant shit-storm on his hands and in danger of losing all his carefully laid plans to some bullshit oath.

"Might I make a small suggestion?"

Des sighed. He knew Amelia well. Too well. It was better to let her say her peace. He would still do whatever he wanted. This was his truck driving off into the ditch. It was his job to make sure that didn't happen.

"By all means," he said just wanting her to get gone.

"The immortal captain, he is strong and intuitive...

Des snorted but the Fae queen continued as if he hadn't spoken.

"...but untrained. His sight is incomplete. It makes him foolhardy and self-destructive. Help him harness his gift and you will have a mighty ally for the battle to come."

Amelia was a Fae queen of the highest order. Her future sight was nearly without equal. She did not get involved in the petty workings of mortals or immortals alike – the only time she deigned to show herself was to bug him or when everything hung in the balance. The last time had been the near extinction of the human race in this world. Des knew she would only be giving him such advice if everything was on the line once more.

He nodded but she was already gone.

"Typical," he muttered.

He snapped his fingers and went to work.

He wasn't about to let a bunch of emo-goth vamps and surly, over-sexed immortals ruin everything.

*~*~*