Chapter Twelve: A Warrior's Agreement

Kat's brain hadn't processed Aiden's movement before Lord Adam was leaping over the attacking warrior, issuing a command like a cracked whip to his men. Kat did not understand the rapid-fire language but the vampires sure did. Each held still as death, watching as their king easily out maneuver the seasoned captain. Where Aiden was pure brawn and wild fury, Lord Adam was liquid calm, like water come to life.

Only a lot more killing involved.

"Aiden, halt!" Eric ordered as Blake, Viktor and Titus rushed forward to grab him. But the loyal, flirtatious, and logical son of Wolfgard, beloved by both men and women was gone. In his place, the blood-thirsty berserker who resided in the deepest part of every immortal warrior was in full control.

No one in attendance had ever witnessed Aiden completely lose control of himself – not even Eric, who'd been raised alongside him like a brother.

Redirecting quickly, Aiden reached into the air and grabbed onto the vampire with both hands. Adam only smiled as he lifted them both straight up towards the vaulted stone ceiling and away from the safety of the other immortals. Aiden was a soldier of uncanny ability, but off the ground a vampire like Adam would have the clear advantage.

"No!" Lori screamed, horrified. He felt his wife's sickening horror as a mirror of his own.

Lord Adam would kill Aiden and Eric could do nothing to stop it.

He turned and rounded on Des. "End this madness!"

He was not alone. Loris was right beside him. "Help him! Please!"

"Do something, Des!" Kat shouted over them both.

"Uh...everybody time-the-hell-out," Des said, snapping his fingers. Everything froze. Time itself stood still and Des could only stare at the disastrous scene unfolding around him. So perhaps the whole vampire thing was a slight miscalculation on his part. Centuries of matchmaking under his belt, and millennia of existence before that, it was hard to remember every little detail. Things were bound to slip through the cracks – one such tidbit would be the matter of a small debt owed to a passing acquaintance.

He was so busy staring up at Aiden and Adam he never heard the approach of another magical being until it spoke.

"My, my little bird. This is quite a fine mess," Amelia noted.

Des turned slowly. This was turning out to be the worst kind of blast-from-the-past kind of a day, complete with crazy ex-girlfriends.

Bad enough he'd forgotten all about his promise to Adam, now he had to deal with a freaking fairy.

"Amelia," he said, damning his accursed luck. "Why is it whenever there's a giant cluster of crap in my vicinity you're never far behind?" he asked, not bothering to hide his disdain.

Amelia of the White Sea Fae was as ethereally beautiful as ever. Ageless and young, her eyes were the only indication of the years under her belt. They were much like his, a spectrum of color from silvery gray to sienna depending on her mood. She was tall and regal, her white robes moving around her as if they were caught in their own unnatural wind. Her golden hair was streaked with silver and flowed into her clothing so he wasn't sure where the one ended and the other started.

She hadn't changed a single bit.

The Fae queen only shrugged. "You are...entertaining."

The demi-god bristled at the condescension. The Fae queen was only slightly less annoying than those spiteful Fates who'd cursed him.

Slightly.

His ire wasn't helped by the fact that she could move through anything – even frozen slices of time. Amelia had the uncanny ability to turn up at his less-than-amazing moments - especially here. It was one of the reasons he couldn't get out of Wolfgard fast enough. He made it a point to stay until his set-up was assured and he didn't have to worry about humans or immortals mucking anything up. Then the lovers were on their own until the month was up.