Chapter Ten: Dressed to Impress

Kat took a long look around her "room," taking it all in. The entire thing was easily bigger than her whole apartment, and she was including the hallway, the elevator, and the main floor lobby in her general estimation.

After the tense standoff in the king's library, a nice young maid led her and Des to their rooms to relax before their welcome banquet. The news of their arrival had spread quickly and there was no lack of rushing servants preparing the castle for the affair. She'd been tempted to ask the young woman for a few extra pillows, as she was used to sleeping with at least three a night, but the second she walked into the room she realized pillows would not be an issue.

As a matter of fact, Kat had never seen anything as breathtakingly opulent and lavish as the golden room before her.

A regal, hand-carved four poster bed carved from an unfamiliar red-colored wood was the centerpiece of the room. It was resplendent with gold brocade bedding that set off the rich crimson undertones of the furniture to perfection. The wood itself seemed to hold a light of its own, an inner luminescence that glinted off the golden highlights surrounding it. Kat walked up to one of the thick posts at the foot of the bed and laid a hand on it. It was warm to the touch and seemed to hum underneath her fingertips.

"Whoa," she exhaled slowly.

On the bed was the thickest down-filled comforter she'd ever seen in her life – just looking at it made her want to jump in and let the thickness of it envelop her like a cloud. Plus, much to her happy surprise, there were enough pillows for half a dozen people to use and the bed was wide enough to fit every single one of them.

"Unbelievable," she whispered as her eyes took everything in, cataloging and saving it for later study. She was planning on writing it all down, everything that had happened, her impression of people, the castle, everything before she turned in for the night.   

In addition to the huge bed there was a fireplace tall enough to dance in, with a pair of comfortable golden plush chairs before it, so she could sit and enjoy reading or writing by the fire. There was a full size wardrobe, dresser, and vanity carved out of the same deep red wood as the bed dotted around the room and a thick gold and red carpet in the center of the room. A large tapestry took up the long wall depicting some kind of celebration in bright bold colors. Overall, it had the feel of a room made for a royal guest, not some little nobody-baker from the south.

Her door banged open, scaring Kat halfway out of her skin. She whirled around and watched Des stroll in, earbuds blasting a familiar song. He flashed her a wide grin and jumped on her bed and proceeded to test out the mattress by bouncing on it a few times.

She groaned inwardly. The man didn't seem to have the faintest idea of personal space, and if he did he sure as heck didn't give a single damn about it.

Kat crossed her arms across her chest. "Are you quite done?" she asked, raising her voice to be heard over the music.

Des ignored her. He bounced twice more before laying flat on his back. Seemingly satisfied, he sat back up and pulled the earbuds out and put his phone on speaker so the music filled the room.    

At least he had good taste in music.

"I didn't figure you for a Weeknd fan," she said feeling more amused now than annoyed. Only he would walk around a medieval castle with an iPhone.

Did he even get a signal in this place?

"Are you kidding? If it's good enough for Tom Cruise..." he replied, holding up one finger as he continued, "but ixnay on saying anything bad about Tom or his personal beliefs. I don't give a flying fuck about how crazy he may or may not be or if he really thinks he's beaming up into a spaceship when he dies. I just love that man's movies," he said matter-of-factly. "Or maybe you'd prefer something with more of a beat?" he said as his fingers tapped the screen of his phone and the song changed to Cascada's Evacuate the Dance Floor.