Currently, his head was cocked back as he laughed at something one of his chess club buddies told him. Knowing his chess club friends, it was a nerdy joke that they could only decipher.

I rolled my eyes at how nerdy Ranny was. Head of the chess team, Valedictorian, voted Most Likely to Succeed, President of five clubs and the dude even takes three Advanced Placement classes!

I twitch up my lips at the mere fact that thanks to his friendship with Kat and me, he and his nerdy friends will be the first group of nerds to graduate unscathed by this school’s repetition of bullying the nerds.

Kat and I have made it clear here that you can’t touch him or his friends, or you might just end up in the bathroom with your dirty socks jammed in your mouth.

Suddenly, I felt a sharp pinch on my arm.

“Ouch!” I all but shrieked as I rubbed the place on my upper arm that Kat had pinched in between her thumb and index finger.

She smiled wickedly at me, “I won’t apologize. Now, please, go over there before I die of old age.” Kat started to raise a blue solo cup that she must have grabbed, on the snack and drink table, without me noticing.

Reaching over, I snatched the drink from her. “I told you, a thousand times, not to drink the punch.”

“Why can’t I drink it?” Kat asked as she grabbed back her drink.

“Well, you didn’t expect me to come here and not pull off some prank.” It was my turn to smile wickedly at Kat as she began to slowly understand what I was saying.

“You spiked the punch?!” She shouted.

I tried to place my hand over her mouth to stop her from admitting that so loudly, but failed. I looked around the room the second my palm covered her lips to see if anyone had heard. “Yeah, announce it to the world,” I spoke as I released my hand from her face and noted no one had, lucky, heard her.

Kat suddenly erupted in a thousand giggles. “You- you ... you spiked It!” She muttered under her chuckles.

“Yep ... I figured you’d be upset that I didn’t clue you in on the spiking ... yet, you’re giggling...”

Kat sobered up and looked at me with teary eyes that were a price of her non-stop laughter. “I was,” She stated as another chuckle escaped her lips. She attempted to control herself as she continued. “I was only laughing, because,” Her lips twitched up and it was clear she was trying to hold in her laughs. “Because I spiked it too!”

It took a minute for her words to sink in but when they did, I couldn’t help laugh.

“We are too much alike, it is scary,’’ She commented as I took my turn chuckling.

I nodded in response. “Yes!”

Kat outreached her solo cup in my direction, “Drink some liquid courage and go talk to Randall.” When I didn’t take the cup she rolled her green eyes, “Don’t get drink shy on me! ... We’ve drank before and you were more than willing!”

I shook my head. “I’m only hesitating because I want to do this sober. If I tell Randall how I feel, I want it to be honest and straight to the point because we both know liquor makes my lips and tongue loose.”

Kat gave a shrug of her shoulders. “More for me,” She replied and then downed the drink.

I shook my head at her and went to turn my eyesight back on Randall.