24 | French Girls

Ales sighed, rubbing his hands over his face. "I think I should explain from the beginning." He paused, taking another deep breath. "My parents and her parents were friends from college, right? When both our moms got pregnant around the same time, they always hoped their kids would get together. So, fast forward twenty-five years, we were both single and our parents wanted us to date. We went out a couple of times, but I wasn't interested in her."

"She said you were together for a year," I said.

"Yeah well, this is the reason I didn't tell you even though I should have," he started. "I didn't have any feelings for her but, we would sleep together. I swear to you, Rosa, I made my intentions for her very clear and I told her several times I didn't like her."

I swallowed. "So, you were like friends with benefits?"

He pursed his lips together. "More like just benefits." Ales stood and approached me, but stayed a foot away.

"But you knew she liked you and you still continued it. You were using her."

"I made sure she knew we weren't together and that I had no feelings for her whatsoever." He cleared his throat. "I told you I wasn't like other guys and that I don't get into relationships for sex, but I guess this makes me a liar."

I dropped my hands to my sides. "I just wish you told me before."

"I'm sorry," he said lowly.

I looked towards the stairs. "Can we go to bed now? I'm tired."

"Yeah, of course, go ahead. I'll be there soon."

I turned on my heel and walked up the stairs, grabbed one of his shirts before locking myself in the bathroom. I washed my face, got dressed, and finished up before entering his room. Ales was still downstairs and I could hear him pacing around. I crawled into bed, yawning and wrapped myself in his blankets. Just as I was about to finally fall asleep, I felt his body surround me, cocooning me in his hold.

***

I woke up to the same dull pain pulsing in my stomach. For the first time ever, I opened my eyes to Ales still sleeping, curled up beside me. Our legs were tangled together, my head resting against his bare chest. I moved away quietly, hoping to not wake him up. Sunshine poured through the windows, warming up the room. I poked Ales and he stirred.

"Merry Christmas," I whispered.

He opened his eyes and a smile spread across his face. "Merry Christmas, Rosa."

I leaned over and pressed a chaste kiss against his lips. Then I jumped off the bed and headed to the bathroom to freshen up and Ales soon did the same. I headed down the stairs, still sleepy.

Ales touched the small of my back. "Before we eat, I have something to show you."

I looked at him curiously. "What is it?" 

He didn't reply and instead gently pushed me towards the Christmas tree at the corner of the room. "I have a little something for you." He reached under the tree for a gift bag and handed it to me. "I hope I didn't overstep any boundaries."

"You really didn't have to get me anything," I said. "Thank you." I pulled the little box out of the bag, cracking it open. Inside was a dainty diamond necklace, that shone at me. "Oh my."

"Turn it around," he said.

I lifted the diamond locket and there were numbers inscribed on it. It was a date, two days ago. "Ales..."

"I wasn't sure if it was something you wanted or even wanted to be reminded of, but if you don't like it, I can return it and give you one without the engraving-"