3 | Plain Sight

I was so sick and tired of working.

It was absolutely hopeless.

I shoved my french fry into the ketchup as if the unnecessary physical force would give me all the answers I needed. Weeks of working did not give us any progress or any hint of a clearing up ahead. Aerion sat beside me at the bar, swallowing a bite of his burger while shaking his left leg. The limb hit mine every few raises making me grind my teeth together in barely contained frustration.

"Would you stop that?" I bit out, popping the fry into my mouth. 

He looked down like he hadn't realized what he was doing then stopped, a sheepish smile on his face. "Sorry. I'm just tired," he admitted, rubbing his forehead. "I thought we would have something new by this point." His eyes met mine, softening.

"We just have to think as he does," I said, taking a sip of my cold beer. I set the glass down, wiping the condensation coating my fingers on my pants. "If I were the most powerful mob boss in America, where would I be?"

"Hiding in plain sight," Aerion pointed out. "Have no ties to any of the crimes the mafia has been found guilty of."

I nodded in agreeance. "Right, but that doesn't narrow down our sources at all," I said, biting my lip. "Did you end up doing background checks on all distant and close relatives to the major bosses?"

"Long time ago. They're all clean," he said. 

I narrowed my eyes, taking another long drink of my beer. "Too clean. Can you give me those documents tomorrow?"

"Will do." There was a lull in the conversation as we finished our dinner. The bar we dined in was fairly empty, so it was easier for us to discuss work without the fear of being eavesdropped on. "I got the bill."

"No, I got it," I insisted, pulling my wallet out of my purse. It was my turn anyway, Aerion had paid for dinner a few days back.

"Split, then?"

"Okay fine," I sighed, pulling my card out and placing it on the bill. As we got billed, I slid my coat over my body, pulling my long hair out from under the thick material. We exited the bar into the cold, snowy mid-November weather. "I'll see you tomorrow."

"What are you doing?" Aerion demanded, grabbing the sleeve of my jacket.

I turned back to him, light flakes of snow landing on his dark hair and beard. I reached around his head, pulling the hood on. "I'm going to take the bus," I said, my hand falling back down. He caught it, holding it in his large ones. I shivered, basking the little bit of warmth he provided me with.

"I'll drive you home," he offered quietly. My eyes dropped to his lips as he ran his tongue over them to moisten the slightly chapped skin. I jerked my hand out of his, forcing distance between us. I nodded, following Aerion to his car. A thin layer of white covered the vehicle, falling onto the seats when I opened the passenger door. I tapped my boots on the side of the car gently, the accumulated snow on my shoes flurrying off. The car was cool when we got in but quickly warmed up with the help of heated seats. A luxury I could not afford. I was stuck sitting in damp public transit seats, praying I don't catch a cold every time I hopped on a subway cart.

Aerion drove me to my apartment, parked his car and insisted on walking me upstairs. We took the elevator, a form of tension clouding the air. I didn't know what it was. 

The elevator doors opened and I strolled to my door, stopping nervously in front. "Thanks for the ride."

"No problem, Rose," he said, my name rolling off his tongue. My eyes met his, getting caught in the emotion swirling in them. I found myself leaning forward, tilting my head up until we were only an inch apart. "Rose..." he whispered, his breath on my cheek.